Original grab rails found mounted fore and aft on the cockpit table for the later Catalina 400s and on the Catalina 470s.
The rails are fastened to the cockpit table with 5/16" studs. In at least two cases, customers have broken the studs with the resulting failure of the grab rail.
The original designs are no longer available. Rather than a complete replacement, we can repair your original grab rail assuming the tube itself isn't damaged.
We will replace your original 5/16" studs with 3/8" studs to provide added strength. The old mount plates are cut off and new mount plates with the larger 3/8" studs are welded on, buffed to a bright finish, then electropolished. Includes new 3/8" nuts and washers.
• Height, overall, not including studs:
C-400: 9-3/4" C-470: ~8-5/8"
• Width, center to center: ~10"
• Tubing diameter, outside: 1"
• Stud, fastener size: 3/8"
1) The number of failures we have encountered clearly indicate the original 5/16" studs were inadequate. If you are sending one grab rail in for repair, the other is likely not far behind. We highly recommend you send us both. There will only be one packaging charge for either one or two parts so you will save on both shipping and packaging expense.
2) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this special order item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
3) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!
4) An additional shipping charge also applies to this item.
5) We include a set of large fender washers in addition to a pair of standard washers. If you have room to use them, these fender washers will provide additional support as well.