Instrument panel for boats equipped with pedestal steering and a Yanmar diesel engine. This Seaward panel fits the trapezoidal shaped pod only, and does not include the pod itself. Instruments and wires are included.
This flat panel was used on the following boats, when equipped with Yanmar diesel engines and Edson steering systems proir to the angled instrument panel pods and Edson's "Vision Series" pedestals:
• Catalina 42 (4JH see note 2 below, 4JH2, 4JH3)
• Catalina 320 (3GM30)
• Catalina 270 (2GM20)
There may be other applications where this panel was used as well.
1) This panel is for boats equipped with Yanmar diesel engines that used a magnetic flywheel pickup for the tachometer. It is compatible with the standard installation for most Catalinas however we can never be sure that your engine has a magnetic pick up unless you check your boat. It is not compatible with Universal Diesels or with a Yanmar engine that uses an alternator pick up. If you need a similar panel for a Universal Diesel, or Yanmar with an alternator pick up, please call.
2) Some early boats had the ignition switch mounted on the panel. Keys with flotation would often catch on the wheel so the ignition was moved to the side of the pod.
3) Earlier panels were not supplied with high temperature alarms, so this newer design provides that additional safety feature as well. The water temperature switch was included with the engine but you may need to run an additional wire from the engine plug to the panel.
4) Some earlier panels had the tachometer mounted on the starboard side of the panel and the instrument pod flange was trimmed at that location for proper clearance. With the tachometer now on the port side, you may find that you need to trim a bit of the instrument pod flange for proper clearance. Look at any modifications to the existing flange to see how much trimming may be required. Note that your panel has to be removed to see the modification to the flange.
5) Each tachometer is bench tested before it leaves our vendor. This leaves the indicator at a position other than zero. Once you install the tachometer, the indicator will return to zero when the engine is stopped with the kill lever before the ignition is switched off.
6) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
7) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
8) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!
9) Do to slight variations of panels used on your Catalina we ask that you please verify the dimensions, and understand that we may require a photo of your old panel before processing your order.
10) A fine calibration potentiometer is under the sticker at the back (see "More Images" below). It is a delicate electronic device mounted to the far side of the circuit board with three soldered on contacts. The adjustment is accessible through a small hole in the board. A watch maker can successfully adjust it without damaging it or pushing it off of the circuit board. Our experience indicates that mechanics are too ham-fisted and will break it every time. If approximately correct isn't accurate enough for your needs, you can attempt to adjust it using a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver (not phillips head). But once you remove the sticker over the calibration screw, the warranty is void and the tachometer cannot be returned.
11) Caution! Only use warm soapy water, no degreasers or harsh chemical cleaners, to clean the plastic panels.