Lewmar opening port. Silver anodized aluminum frame, smoke gray lens, white interior trim.
The early boats utilized opening ports that had more in common with RV parts than marine. They had a sliding lens and are problematic for two reasons:
• They did not seal well. They will sometimes leak while at the dock in a slight drizzle. Sailing in heavy seas, they would leak profusely.
• Like a sliding glass door in your house, when open, less than half of the width of the frame is open. This offers very little ventilation even in a good breeze.
These high quality ports open fully to provide improved ventilation without leaks. They are a great replacement for those early sliding ports as they are larger than the original ports. The opening in your boat can be enlarged to accept these new ports. Supplied complete with interior trim and fly screen.
• These ports are designated as standard equipment only on the Catalina 42.
• At least one Catalina 36 and Catalina 400 owner have reported that these ports were installed on their boats as well.
There may be other uses we are not aware of. They were also not used every year the boat was produced.
• Outside of mounting flange (measured on the outside of the boat): 449mm x 191mm (about 17-11/16" x 7-1/2")
• Cut out size: 429mm x 171mm (about 16-7/8" x 6-3/4")
• Height: 5-5/32"
• Width: 15-3/8"
Please note that these ports are built in England and made to metric system standard dimensions. All Imperial equivalents are approximate.
1) The size of the cutout required for this port should be a bit larger than the hole in which your existing port is mounted. This will allow you to trim the deck to the proper size opening using a jig saw. Check the dimensions of your port and the opening in your deck before ordering. It is always possible Catalina Yachts or a previous owner has installed a different port than we expect. Let's be sure what you are working with before ordering!
2) Lewmar ports are designed to be mounted on a flat surface. Customers report that the deck of very early boats have a slight curve. A curve may require the installer to form a flat mounting surface using Marine Tex or similar. Customers report later boats do have a flat surface making the installation quite simple.
3) Since they are manufactured in England, these ports are made to metric dimensions. We provide the inch equivalents for your convenience even though they are less accurate in this case. New Standard Size 3