Brake knob, shaft and brake pad retrofit assembly for pedestals with straight (not tapered) wheel shafts. Used by Catalina until around 2003 (depending upon Catalina's in-stock inventory). Verify that the part is correct for your pedestal.
If your boat's production is close to 2003, you may have had either straight or tapered wheel shaft. There may have been left over inventory of pedestals with straight shafts at Catalina that were used even later than 2004.
Pedestals with straight wheel shafts were originally available with or without a wheel brake mounted on the starboard side of the pedestal. This ket retrofits a wheel brake to those who did not originally come with one. All later pedestals were made with a tapered wheel shaft and were equipped standard with a wheel brake knob in the center of the steering wheel hub.
If you already have a brake assembly as evidenced by a knob (either black plastic or stainless steel) on the starboard side of the pedestal but it isn't working, you likely only need the maintenance kit pictured below under "May we also suggest"
To easily identify which pedestal you have (straight or tapered wheel shaft), if your wheel is held on by a polished stainless steel hex nut and your wheel brake (or a plastic plug in the pedestal where the wheel brake shaft should be) is located on the starboard side of the pedestal itself, you have a straight wheel shaft.
The Edson Friction Brake is designed to dampen the action of the wheel. It is especially handy on long runs or when operating under power, these brakes can be used to secure the wheel under most conditions and will hold the boat on course while the helmsman trims a sheet. The brake can always be overridden by the helmsman.
Brakes are constructed of bronze with long-lasting brake linings and are supplied with a stainless shaft and brake knob. For safety, the handle is designed to "pop off" if a line gets tangled around it. Edson pre-drills all holes required for the installation of the wheel brake. A plastic plug fills the hole on the starboard side of the pedestal in cases where the wheel break was not originally installed. Wheel brake can be retrofitted in approximately 20 minutes.
Used by Catalina on Edson pedestals until around 2003 or 2004 (depending upon Catalina's in-stock inventory) on the following models:• Catalina 22
• Catalina 25
• Catalina 250
• Capri 26
• Catalina 27
• Catalina 270
• Catalina 28 MkI & MkII
• Catalina 30
• Catalina 320 MkI
• Catalina 34 MkI & MkII
• Catalina 36 MkI & MkII
• Catalina 38 (early Sparkman and Stephens design)
• Morgan 38
• Catalina 42 MkI & some of MkII's (until Feb. 2003)
• Morgan 44
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
2) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this special order item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
3) When you order a special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time! C-445