A retractable bowsprit is a convenient way to provide for the tack of the spinnaker to be in clean air forward of the genoa. If desired, it can also support a larger sail with more sail area than would otherwise fit your boat.
Our kit includes the pole, two pad eyes for the aft end of the pole (one for the retracted position and one for the extended position) and a deck mounted collar for the forward end of the pole. In most cases this size pole is appropriate for use on a Catalina 27, Catalina 270, Catalina 28, Catalina 30, Catalina 309, Catalina 310, and Catalina 320 but exact load carrying ability will depend upon how and where the mounting brackets are placed. If you don't require significant projection forward of the stem fitting, or if you are using the pole in light air only, this pole may be appropriate for a Catalina 34 as well.
Several of the new Catalina 5 Series boats use this pole in a unique installation. It mounts entirely forward of the anchor locker. The forward end of the pole is supported by a deck collar mounted directly to the anchor roller. It is just long enough to move the tack forward of any interference from the anchor roller. And it is short enough to stow in the anchor locker. The Catalina 315, Catalina 355, and Catalina 385 all employ this configuration. See "More Images" below for an example.
Download the table below under "Read More" for additional detailed information. If you would like some help interpreting the table, call our tech support line at the phone number listed at the bottom of the page.
• Maximum length: 7'-3"
• Diameter: 75mm (2.95")
• Minimum distance between supports: 60cm (23.62")
• Maximum service load (see table): 1,100 pounds
1) Appropriate installed length and load carrying ability will depend the displacement of your boat, mounting positions and your intended use. Please call our tech support department for assistance in ordering this item. Our tech support line is available 916/843-1971 Tuesday - Friday 10:00a.m. -5:00 p.m. Pacific time.
Before calling, estimate the positions where you might locate the forward collar and the aft pad eyes and measure the distance between each. Remember that you must avoid the anchor locker, stem fitting, anchor rollers, and any cleats etc. that may intrude. It is perfectly fine to mount the pole to one side of the deck and even to angle the pole as needed. It is best to have the forward end of the pole near the centerline of the boat when it is fully extended. With this information we can ensure you are receiving the correct kit and explain the use parameters and approximate load the pole might be expected to accommodate.
2) The tack line shown in the bow sprit is for illustration purposes only. It is not included with the kit. Unless the boat is already so equipped, you will need a tack line and snapshackle for the tack line.
3) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
4) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
5) When you order this special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time! (bow sprit)