We created these stout replacements to address the routine problem of bent gate stanchions. This double lifeline gate stanchion has thick 0.120" stainless tubing (compared to the original 0.049"), and a drawn trapezoid base. The drawn base creates a much stronger connection to the tube as it allows for welds on both sides of the plate, at the top of the flange and the bottom of the tube. Base material is thicker 5/32" plate rather than the original 1/8".
• Total height: 24-1/2"
• Height to center of top lifeline: 24"
• Distance from top of main stanchion to center of weld for support leg: 8"
• Center to center of mounting bases at deck level: 9-1/4"
• Tubing diameter: 1"
• Fastener diameter: 1/4"
Main Stanchion Base:
• Size: 2-3/4" (short base) or 4" (long base) x 3"
• Thickness: 5/32"
• Fastener spacing: Fore & Aft: 2" (short base), 3" (long base)
Support Leg Base:
• Size: 2-3/8"
• Fastener spacing: 1-1/2"
The mounting feet mount flat on the deck on the same plane. 24" to the top lifeline.
1) When used on a boat equipped with a single gate stanchion on each side of the boat (port and starboard), the stanchion pictured is the starboard gate. Larger boats may use two gate stanchions on each side of the boat, one forward and one aft of the gate. In that case, the pictured stanchion is the forward starboard gate stanchion as well as the aft port gate stanchion.
2) When installing gate stanchions for the first time, or when replacing all gate stanchions on your boat, part number A8217 may be used interchangeably. The only difference is the angle of the support leg. If replacing only one gate stanchion on your boat, you will want to select the design (angled or parallel legs) to match your existing stanchions.
3) The support tube is vertical allowing a more rational horizontal hole for the lifeline to pass through. Original gates had an angled support tube with an angled hole which caused chafe to the wire. This creates a slightly different look to the gate. We suggest you replace these gates in pairs with matching Z2034 for the other side.