This replacement car is an upgrade to the original 5" long car used on a factory installed flat (not arched) mid-boom traveler. It fits 1-1/2" wide x 1-3/4" high track and does not require a chamfer at the base as the track is not as wide as the 2-3/8" high track. See "More Images:" below to see the differences between the 1-3/4" and 2-3/8" high tracks.
This upgrade can be used on:
• Catalina 27
• Catalina 270
• Catalina 28
• Catalina 30
• Catalina 310
• Catalina 320
• Catalina 34
• Catalina 36
• Catalina 42 (early - measure track)
The 1-3/4" high track may be found on other boats as well.
Traveler car bearings:
• Hi load Torlon bearings (take the load from the mainsheet): 240
• Delrin bearings (support an unloaded car during a jibe): 240
The new 8" car uses twice as many bearings as original 5" car. Four bearing races, two races for car under load, 2 for car under no load. 240 hi load 1/4" Torlon bearings in new car vs. 120 in old car for loaded mode (an equal number of Delrin bearings for no load mode). Includes new traveler control blocks for each end of track for a 5:1 purchase (vs. old 3:1). Incorporates 3 shackles (included) for mainsheet blocks on top of car.
• Length of car: 8"
• Width of car only: 3"
• Width of car including control blocks and stainless top plate: 7"
• Length of fixed end cars: 4-1/2"
• Sheave diameter: 2-1/2"
• Maximum line diameter: 3/8"
• Recommended line diameter: 5/16"
• Control line purchase: 5:1
• For use with track height: 1-3/4"
• For use with track width: 1-1/2"
1) Three shackles are provided for use with our mainsheet block kit, #K1960. This kit is supplied with three single blocks for the traveler car rather than one triple block on the traveler car. This allows each of the three blocks to have a fair lead. If you currently use a single triple block and are not upgrading your blocks yet, simply use the center shackle only for now and leave the two other shackles unused for use with a future upgrade.
2) The traveler car ships on short length of track so the car can be rolled directly onto existing traveler track without loosing the bearings. Never roll the car off of the end of the track into mid-air. You will have all 480 bearings strewn everywhere!
3) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
4) You must drill the horizontal holes through your existing track and install the rubber stops pictured through that hole to avoid having the blocks collide in the event of an accidental jibe.
5) If your Catalina 34 or Catalina 36 is equipped with cowl vents forward of the traveler, the external controls lines required for this kit will interfere with the vents. You will need a traveler equipped with compact internal control. When replacing an old style car, the end controls and cam cleat may be mounted to a plate that may need to be removed before the old car can be removed and new car installed. The plate is installed between the track and the fiberglass riser. Removing the track from the fiberglass riser can be a tremendous undertaking if the mounting bolts are seized. The manufacture recommends using a Dremmel to remove the mounting plate rather than removing the track to remove the mounting plate.
6) Do not order this kit without comparing your existing track to the one in the photos below. If your track is a different size or shape, the old "X" shaped rather than this newer "I" shaped track for example, the cars will not fit. This item is not returnable. Once we accept your order it can't be canceled, returned, or exchanged so check carefully before ordering.