Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Cleaning Mildew from Sails

Author Cleaning Mildew from Sails
Mark
Lake City, MN

Boat Name: Sick Days

Model/Year: 1993

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake City, MN
04/22/2009 11:25 AM Pacific Time

I just recently purchased a Catalina 22 and unfortunately believe they had stored the sails on the boat in the down season. We have the original and fairly new Ullman Sails with the boat. The sails have quite a bit of mold and mildew on them. Any suggestions on how to remove the mildew? I am hesitant to use Clorox but have found a couple sites suggesting it (highly diluted) also is it safe to use OxyClean on sails.
Bill Braun & Christine Sammel
Evanston, Illinois

Boat Name: Da Doo Run Run

Model/Year: 1989 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14840

Hailing Port: Wilmette, Illinois
04/22/2009 6:55 PM Pacific Time

We have had luck with using a 1 part bleach to 4 parts water spray mixture on mildewed sails. What we made sure we did, though, was to lay the sails out on the lawn on a sunny day, so that the bleach mixture dried pretty quickly. It was amazing to watch the mildew just ... disappear! Only several spots needed a second treatment. These were dacron sails.
Bill & Christine
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
04/23/2009 8:03 AM Pacific Time

The sails that came with my C22 were also mildewed and dirty. I purchased a cheap 30 gallon garbage can; filled it with water and OxyClean; dropped the sails in the garbage can and let them soak 24 hours. That did a good job with a minimum of scrubbing.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
04/23/2009 4:49 PM Pacific Time

Mark

Try 1 cup of dish washing detergent per gallon of water, scrub then wait 15 min. then rinse. Works great

Jim

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Cleaning Mildew from Sails