New Berlin, WI
Boat Name: Marbella
Hull No. 14593
05/12/2009 6:21 AM Pacific Time
I have an '88 Catalina 22 with the factory coamings in the cockpit. They don't drain well and the interior dimensions seem to attract nesting bees in the summer. This makes for quite an unpleasant surprise to anyone who sticks their hand in there.
I'd like to replace them with a 3rd party insert... but the shape of the cockpit edge doesn't lend itself easily to a replacement.
I looked at the SSI Custom coamings (http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/coaming.htm), but theirs are 5" deep and there's only 4.5" available... quite a bummer. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Boat Name: Shady Deal
Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979
Hull No. 8940
Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
05/12/2009 7:42 AM Pacific Time
Hi Carl. I have the same problem with dirt dobbers and the drain holes stopping up. Any tools left in there stay wet and rust. I have thought about making some coaming covers from a nice piece of wood plank so it could be stained or using 1/4 plywood and covering it as a cushion. I saw a picture of a boat with wood covers and key locks a thin rubber seal kept water out. At the club there is a couple of boats with sunbrella covers held on by snaps which cover the contents but are completely removable.
So many ideas,so little time.
Boat Name: Emy Lyn II
Hailing Port: Rochester
05/13/2009 4:38 AM Pacific Time
Had the same problem. The sunbrella covers work great and for the draining I just drilled out the holes to 1/4"
Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli
Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988
Hull No. 14447
Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
07/11/2012 9:10 PM Pacific Time
Our starboard side was nover installed properly and leaked. It appeared that every PO (myself included) squirted various forms of calk and adheasive to fix the problem - temporarily. I finally got around to reglassing the full length crack and all is well again. The hardest part was forgetting to wear coveralls when grinding out the old glass underneath.
The factory drain holes are near useless. I turned each one into a horizontal slot 1/4" x 1" with a dremmel and touched up the edges with white nail polish. It drains much better and looks fine too.