Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / removal of pow pulpit

Author removal of pow pulpit
Mike Trimble
Arlington, VA

Boat Name: Colleen II

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1989

Hull No. CTYH4939A989

Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
08/10/2009 5:28 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone removed the bow pulpit from their boat? The bolts and nuts on mine are rusted and are probably letting water leak into the cabin. I want to take the pulpit off and replace the bolts, but can't reach the ones towards the stern. I'm guessing I need to cut some access holes either from the outside of the anchor locker, or the inside liner to get to those bolts.

Anyone with experience here?

Mike
Mike Trimble
Arlington, VA

Boat Name: Colleen II

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1989

Hull No. CTYH4939A989

Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
08/10/2009 5:30 PM Pacific Time

Sorry ... the subject should bw removal of bow pulpit.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/10/2009 9:10 PM Pacific Time

Mike,
I have a 70s model with no anchor locker and the nuts are readily accessible. You may want to also try posting here:
http://www.c22region10.org/bb
and here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catalina22
to reach a broader audience.

Hopefully fixing it won't be too torturous!

David
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/11/2009 11:49 AM Pacific Time

I would think you could put a 3" inspection port in there to access the bolt. Lots of boats have water tight inspection ports for doing just what you're talking about. It's definetly above the water line, but I'd place it as high and close as possible to the bolt(s) since it is in the anchor locker and make sure your anchor locker drain hole does not plug up. Good Luck.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
08/12/2009 6:20 AM Pacific Time

Mike,

I would try EVERYTHING ELSE first before cutting any holes in the boat. Are you sure that you looked from all directions for access to those bolts? Sometimes they hide them pretty well. My boat is a 1970 model without an anchor locker so I am not familiar with the newer boats but I would bet that the pulpit was installed after the boat was assembled and someone had to get in there to put in the bolts. Perhaps your local Catalina dealer would have some advice for you.

Greg
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/12/2009 11:46 PM Pacific Time

the anchor locker in the bow of the newer boats are part of the double interior liner and will not put a hole "through" the boat.
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
08/14/2009 8:13 AM Pacific Time

Mike, I put in four inch access ports on both sides of the anchor locker to get to the bow cleats. I used a dremel and silicone, and the job was done in less than an hour. Watch out for the light wires behind. Good luck.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/15/2009 11:52 AM Pacific Time

The anchor locker seems to hide all the forward hardware. I needed to replace my bow eye and looked all over for a way to get at it but could not see any. I finally cut an inspection hole in the front of the locker with a rotary saw and fiberglass cutting bit (you could use the bit in a Dremel also), and did the necessary replacement. I then glued and screwed in a 4" inspection port, sealing the opening as the locker needs to be water tight. Make sure the drain hose is protected from clogging with debris. If you remove the wood panel in the tip of the bow v-berth, you might have access to the pulpit side nuts, but you can't reach anything in front of the locker without an inspection port. It is a relatively easy project and you could add ports on the sides also, if necessary.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / removal of pow pulpit