Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Main Halyard on boat

Author Replacing Main Halyard on boat
Dale Bezzard
Manheim, PA

Boat Name: Wiskers

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/27/2009 5:15 AM Pacific Time

Recently purchased a 1986 Catalina 22 that has a very worn main halyard. Is there some way to hook a new halyard onto the old one and fish it thru the mast?? Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Dale.
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
08/27/2009 6:59 AM Pacific Time

Hello Dale,

Split a one foot length of duct tape and fasten the two ends of the halyards together as you would roll a cigarette. If your old halyard doesn't roll freely in the mast, you could sew the ends together first. The duct tape has worked for me many times. Good luck,

ljp
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/27/2009 10:22 AM Pacific Time

I've stitched the two ends butted together with some whipping thread and then done a 1" wrap (about 1/2" on each side) to ease it through the sheaves. Duct tape has a persistent adhesive which is good if you need it but troublesome to remove. I've used plain masking tape as the thread is plenty strong enough. You could use upholstery thread if you don't have whipping thread handy.
David
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
08/28/2009 1:21 AM Pacific Time

I bought some cheap "big lots" string or twine. The stronger kind that's about 1/8". I fastened one end of the string to the bottom of the old halyard and removed the halyard pulling this long string through. Then on the other end of the string, I fastened the new Halyard and used the string to pull the new halyard through.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Main Halyard on boat