Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaky Volcano/ Keel Cable Hose

Author Leaky Volcano/ Keel Cable Hose
Randy Boyd
Mount Shasta, CA

Boat Name: Uncle Lum

Model/Year: c-22/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Siskiyou
08/21/2011 8:34 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1982 C-22. Keel cable hose and clamps replaced 2 years ago. Pulled keel hose and inspected turning ball 2 days ago. All OK. Put keel hose back without sealant. Never a problem before. I put it in the water yesterday and noticed a seep coming out from under the keel cable hose. Re-tightened hose clamps this a.m., still leaking. It's a slow leak, soaked 2 paper towels overnight. I plan on pulling the boat in October when I will replace the hose and clamps. Wondering if instead I should pull the boat now and put some sealant around volcano before replacing hose. If so, would 5200 or 4200 work? Thanks for any help on this!
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
08/21/2011 2:37 PM Pacific Time

5200 will work a little too well. It is best to think of 5200 as an adhesive only to be used in situations where you never again want to separate the pieces joined. 4200 is a little more forgiving in that regard but I would avoid either of those products for this particular application unless you are never planning on replacing the volcano hose again. Since the clamps are what actually hold the hose in place, I think a polysulfate based or even maybe (shudder) a silicone based product which is actually designed to be used as a sealant rather than an adhesive would be a better choice. And since that hose is basically keeping your boat from sinking, I think it advisable to replace those clamps every time they are removed.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
08/22/2011 7:30 AM Pacific Time

The hose/thru-hull (volcano) is not much different than the hose on your car radiator. Perhaps the hose is old and not able to seat well again, or both surfaces (pipe and inside the hose need to be cleaned. Use a sealer if you have too but, again, not an adhesive, as mentioned before. However, the hose should have two (2) clamps and make sure the clamps are full stainless steel (not just the band). As a side note, to keep the hose from wearing where the cable rubs against it as it exits the hose, use a ring (cut from a piece of PVC) inside the lip of the hose.
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
08/22/2011 12:11 PM Pacific Time

End for end the hose, use a very light coating of vasaline and double clamps and it should be good to go.
Randy Boyd
Mount Shasta, CA

Boat Name: Uncle Lum

Model/Year: c-22/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Siskiyou
08/24/2011 9:58 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the time it took to reply. Boat pulled and leak fixed as advised! No leaks.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/25/2011 11:24 AM Pacific Time

I know this is off subject, but Randy we would love to see you at the 2012 Catalina Nationals at Scotts Flat Lake, Nevada City, CA. in June 2012. Even if you don't race, it's so much fun getting together for a BBQ dinner with other C22 owners and check out their boats rigging and get advice from some of the top C22 sailors in the nation. We have over 12 C22's here at Scotts Flat Lake where there is camping, boat storage and lots of wind. Several years ago some of us used to trailer to Whiskeytown Lake for the regatta there. I even got 1st place one year in the C22 Fleet. Check out our yacht club at www.gcyc.net. Hope to see you on the water!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Leaky Volcano/ Keel Cable Hose