Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Length

Author Shroud Length
Doug Lance
Houston, TX

Boat Name: DecaDecadence

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 6395

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
04/14/2004 11:10 AM Pacific Time

I have a '77 with the old style mast with the upgraded CD mast step and need to change the shrouds. To save money, I am not using the standard kit from CD and will build my own shrouds using the rigging bench at West Marine.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have the shroud lenth for the lowers and uppers?
2) When making up the shroud to these lengths, how much engagement should I have on the turnbuckle to make up for some tolerance in the shroud lengths provided and to allow for some stretch over time? In other words start with with 25%, 33%, etc. engagement when making up the shrouds.
3) Anything I should watch out for to make this a success with minimal problems?

Thanks
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
04/15/2004 11:58 AM Pacific Time

I was just readingup on this myself. I think that I read in the 2004 West Marine master catalog---no just checked and didn't see it, may have been Defender-wherever- I read 2/3 I will look this afternoon, I'm sure I can find it. I bet you will find an answer at West Marine though.
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
04/15/2004 12:05 PM Pacific Time

Defender Marine 2004 Marine Buyers' Guide pg. 211 near bottm in left column has a diagram on "how to measure overalls for stays and shrouds"
"Overall dimensions are measured from center of pin to center of pin or from bearing surface to bearing surface" Their picture shows the turnbuckle to be "2/3 open" It looks like each end(screww part) is screwed out 2/3 of the way.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Thanks
Lance

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Length