Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / 2nd hand purchase questions

Author 2nd hand purchase questions
neil cookson
nefyn north wales uk

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2004 6:52 AM Pacific Time

Friends,
I am new to sailing and have recently been offered first refusal on a friend of a friends Catalina 22. I dont really know what problem areas to check out. Are there any specific things I should check out on a 1979 Catalina 22?
Please dont blind me with too many technical terms but any advice would be gratefully received.
I've not done much more than mess about in dinghys so far & cant afford a survey as well as the boat so any advice will be gratefully received.

Thankyou Neil

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2004 7:22 AM Pacific Time

Neil,
If the boat is in the water check all the knooks and crannies for any water leakage. If the boat is not in the water, have the owner put it in... personnally, I would not buy a boat that could not be checked for water integrity.
Second, walk around the deck surface and see if there are any "soft spots" where the deck feels spongy. That could be an indication of problems ahead.
Those are the 2 major things that I would do. Do you have anybody familiar with boats that can help you check it out?
Best of luck to you... let us know how you do.
neil cookson
nefyn north wales uk

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2004 11:23 AM Pacific Time

Ken
Thanks for the help, I will let you know how I get on. I admit to poor knowledge and dont have anyone I know who could assist me with a decision so if anything else should occur to you I would be grateful if you post it on here,

Thanks Neil

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2004 3:41 PM Pacific Time

Neil,

What is the asking price (pound sterling OK... we know that you are in the UK) for that '79.
The conventional wisdom of the folks on this list would recommend highly that you engage the services of a marine surveyor. Much like engaging the services of a good mechanic if you knew little about motor cars.... and you may very well want to do exactly that.
You may want to call a few in Whales and inquire about the cost of their services.
Spending a couple hundred pounds today may save you much heartache tomorrow.
Let us know how you fare!
Cheers!
neil cookson
nefyn north wales uk

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/25/2004 1:28 AM Pacific Time

he is asking £3000 but for a quick sale will come down to £2500 or thereabouts. You are right about the survey, I will let you know how I get on.

Regards Neil

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/25/2004 6:39 AM Pacific Time

Sounds kind of high Neil. 3 years ago I bought a c22 1977 and trailer for 1365 pounds. It was in very good shape. Here is a website that may help you determine a fair price.
Good luck!
http://www.nadaguides.com/autohome.aspx?LI=1-11-1-2081-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=10&wPr=0&wPg=2001
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/25/2004 9:54 AM Pacific Time

A while back I wrote a list of things to check for when you are looking at a used boat. Skip Meisch was kind enough to post it on his website. Go to http://slowflight.net/upgrades/tips-boat-purchase.html for things to look for.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / 2nd hand purchase questions