Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rusty keel bolts?

Author Rusty keel bolts?
Russ B
Sherman, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/26/2004 10:12 PM Pacific Time

The fixed-keel C-22 I'm contemplating purchasing has had water standing in the bilge for a while, and the tops of the keel bolts and the nuts are very rusty. Is this a potential dealbreaker? Is there any wood in the hull between the inner liner and the hull or is it solidly mounted in fiberglass? I would hate to think that there is a potential for the keel bolts to pull through the hull and sink her!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/27/2004 2:02 PM Pacific Time

RUN FROM THE DEAL!! Go find yourself another boat. Every boat I have heard of that had standing water in it has has problems. Ask Bob Davidson.
Russ B
Sherman, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/27/2004 3:51 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to run from this boat because I can get it for $1500. But, I definitely don't want to end up with a potential time bomb with a keel that's going to pull through the hull and sink her (the boat is currently on the water).

I don't think the water has been standing in the boat long; we've had a lot of rain in the last two months and the owner last sailed it in late April. The "monsoons" we've had were mostly in late May and June. There was probably less than three gallons total. I'm pretty sure most of the water came in from a hole where the stern light is missing. I cleaned out all the water in the bilge on Sunday, and plan on going to check to see if there is more water in the boat later this week (no rain). The hull isn't deformed around the keel bolts, but I have no idea if the hull has any wood down in the bottom of the hull that could be rotten. The deck is solid with no signs of core rot.

Obviously, if the water is coming in from below the waterline I will run, but do you think it might be worth the price if I don't plan on keeping the boat for a long time?Other than the water in the bilge and a need for some general maintanence, the boat seems to be in pretty good condition. Bottom paint is still good and less than 2 years old. It has a good-running Nissan 5hp engine. The main and both jibs are in fair condition. All the cushions in the cabin are in good shape. Running rigging and sailcover look relatively recent. The only serious issue I have found with it is the rusty keel bolts and a rusty valve for the cockpit drains.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/27/2004 4:54 PM Pacific Time

Russ........

Drain all the standing water out of the boat..... tell the owner that you want to check the boat out on the water.
2 things:
1. Never buy a boat that you haven't checked out while in the water.
2. Walk around the deck and check for soft spots.
It is very much like taking a car on a test drive. If the owner is serious about selling and has nothing to hide... he/she should have no problem with either one. If that is a problem for the owner..... take Dick King's advise and run.
Just MHO
Russ B
Sherman, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/27/2004 10:26 PM Pacific Time

Ken, the boat is in the water now. I've spent several hours on board looking over every nook and cranny. The deck is rock-solid. I've sponged all the water out of the boat, and plan on going to look and see if it stays gone or returns...hopefully there won't be any rain before I get there.

I'm dealing with a broker; the owner has moved out of state and left the boat here. The broker tried to steer me to a more expensive C-22, but he did give me free reign to inspect the boat for as long as I want. We've got a written contract for $1500 (asking price was $2500) pending my approval upon inspection of the boat.

If anyone knows if the fin-keel (1978) C-22 has a wooden support in the hull, please let me know. I've read on here about a swing-keel boat with rotten wood at the bottom of the hull, but I don't know if the fin-keel boat has wood between the inner liner and the hull. If it does, I KNOW I don't want this boat.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
10/17/2004 8:08 AM Pacific Time

I bought mine in early summer for $3000. It also had water in the bottom
First locate its source most likely the windows

As for the billage mine was soft under the battery compartment. I tore out the battery base and everything was waterlogged under the plate

I pin drilled several sets of holes through the inner layer
all along where I thought there might be a problem. This turned out to be under both seating areas and up front.
The water just gushed out. I let it drain for 3 days, sponging it up as needed I also kept raising and lowering the trailer to let the water drain.
The other large area of water accumulation was in the front bunk area just aft of the port potty . This was all filled with foam. I took a small handsaw cut it all out and discovered at least 2 gal of water soaked onto the foam. A messy job, after your done here, pour in at least one gallon of full strength bleach . This will kill all the mildew and bacteria The bleach can then be removed with the wet vac also You now have a nice storrafe area.

After you open this up get a small flexible rod and drive it into the foam on the port and starboard side to make a path for any future water to drain to This is the lowest point of the boat You will most likely want to put your billage pump here and also the pickup for the depth sounder with toilet wax ring.

Next I bought a small 1 gal shop vac and attached it to the small test holes one at a time with duck tape and let the vac suck out whatever water was left it took time about one week. Let the vac run several hours per hole It will fill up with water so check on it every 30 minutes
Here is the trick I bought 3 cans of expanding foam and after I was satisfied that the area that I was working was fairly dry I shot it up with expandable foam This continued to push the rest of the water out of the other holes and seal up any questionable areas. The same process continues until you are done. In one spot I emtied a hole can of foam I don’t know were it all went but it never came out anywere so it must have taken care of a large damaged area.

I suspect that the source of all the water came from the outside window seals Once they were repaid and sealed I had no more water problems. This was a n ongoing project all summer the boat is now in winter storage INSIDE thanks to a good friend, and ready for its maiden voyage next year spring

Uwe
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/18/2004 6:03 AM Pacific Time

Russ - A radio personality (Bruce Williams) says "Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back." If you have free access to the boat, you might want to review a checklist I wrote for a fellow who wanted to buy an old boat to race.
http://slowflight.net/upgrades/tips-boat-purchase.html Just remember another old expression; "You get what you pay for."

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rusty keel bolts?