Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Folding Sails

Author Folding Sails
James
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: "C" Student

Model/Year: 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Stamford
12/05/2004 2:59 PM Pacific Time

What is the proper technique for folding my sails for a Catalina 22. Any help is appreciated as the sails are aging and I don't have the funds for new ones. I'd like to preserve these for as long as needed until I can get new ones. Thanks

Please e-mail me at [email protected] or respond here.

James
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
12/06/2004 7:15 AM Pacific Time

The best way to store the sails is not to fold them at all. On Jagged Edge, we roll the genoa on the extended whisker pole.If you don't have one (you should), lay the sail on a flat surface and roll the sail from the head to the foot. We roll the main on the boom after the main sheet and vang are disconnect and the boom is pulled out of the mast. The aft end of the mainsail should have big loose wrapping to help align the battens as the main rolls up. Get your local sail maker or canvan shop t make you a roll bag to store the sail. The bag should be long enough to accept the sail and the rolling device. and big enough to allow the rolled up sail to fitt easily into the bag.
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
12/07/2004 7:53 AM Pacific Time

I was always taught to not fold sails or store them in a repeatative manner as this can lead to stress points I always just stuff them randomly into the bag , of course my experience goes back to my first 2 boats which had cotton sails but I believe the same holds true for synthetic sails .Rolling sounds ok as long as it is not always the same way

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Folding Sails