Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Swing keel questions - composite new style

Author Swing keel questions - composite new style
Richard Magner, #9472
Glastonbury, CT

Boat Name: SeTherin

Model/Year: C22/1981

Hull No. 9472

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
12/06/2004 8:53 PM Pacific Time

Last winter I purchased a C22 Composite Swing Keel, though did not use it this past season. Prior to & after the purchase I attempted to find out about the keel's specifications, weight, shape, construction via numerous phone calls and emails to Catalina Yachts to no avail.

My first concern was that it may have weighed only 450 lbs as listed on the C22 Mk II brochure.

Weight issue-
I weighed it three separate ways, first at truck scale which I discount somewhat for accuracy. I then weighed using two Taylor bathroom scales, one at each end of the keel and summed the readings. Since I have the keel in the hangar in Norwich, one of my crew (also part of our medical crew on the helo) suggested an ER bed equipped with a scale. Shortly she wheeled one out of the ER to the hangar. I tend to believe the ER bed weight to be most accurate. So my concern about the keel not weighing enough has been erased.

1) Truck scales- 520 lbs
2) Two bathroom scales- 545 lbs
3) Digital Patient Bed- 558.1 lbs which tend feel the most accurate

Shape Issue-
The keel has an average chord of approximately 17.5” and very rounded trailing edge with an average thickness of 9/16”. There is essentially no (foil) shape in the first 10% of span with slab sides and an extremely blunt leading edge. At 20% span a hint of curvature begins and the leading edge has begun to lose some of its bluntness. Finally at 30% span the foil shape evolves to 15% thick at 42% chord. If you extend the trailing edge to a sharp point, Profili identifies the NASA SC0011 (11% thickness) as the closest shape, yet still distant in comparison.

At 90% span, 54 inches down the leading edge with the chord still at 17.5”, the max thickness is 3.375” at 7.187” (19% at 36%) from the leading edge. After extending the trailing edge to a point resulting in a 19.75” chord, Profili found the NACA 63-018 closest yet distant comparison.

How does the above compare with the experience of those of you with the C22 composite keel? How are the hinge, ballast & cable lug structurally tied together? Any thoughts any of you may have regarding the C22 Composite Keel would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Magner
SeTherin #9472
Glastonbury, CT

Richard Magner, #9472
Glastonbury, CT

Boat Name: SeTherin

Model/Year: C22/1981

Hull No. 9472

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
12/07/2004 6:31 AM Pacific Time

Additionally, the foil curvature is entirely convex. It is my understanding, for best performance that the trailing 30% of a foil should be have no covexity whatever. Minimally, it should be flat, if not concave.

Rich Magner
SeTherin #9472l
Glastonbury, CT
Al
Endicott, NY

Boat Name: Shark B8

Model/Year: 1978 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
10/24/2005 3:39 AM Pacific Time

Did you ever get any answers to your questions? Have you used this keel yet? Have you had to fair the keel at all? What did this keel cost you?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/25/2005 6:09 AM Pacific Time

I have used the boat/keel but with mixed results so far. First I don't have regular crew, it is always a learning curve. Second I have sails that were measured in 1992, and are not the greatest anymore. However, in August/September I won a club race against two other boats while single handing it. It seemed to be able to point well with the others at the start, but I went off in another direction from them and the winds let me win. Not boat for boating it in a slug fest. At Austin we did fairly well, at times against others, then lost due to tactics, and could never catch up.
So the few times that I have had close competition, it seemed to at least point or out point the others. All in all, after doing it over the second time, I think that it is about as good as I can get it, and I'm satisfied with the result. It will be a few more races when Ferguson is there to be able to tell. One race when Kathy was at the helm, I could not out point Bulletproof, and they just sailed away from me and the fleet on just plain boat speed. To that I attributed to better sails, and over all boat condition and skill.
So, yes, I'm where I am, sometimes able to win against average sailors and boats but not against the big boys. But then again, I have never been able to sail against the big boys and win.
As for cost, it was well over $100, a lot I had on hand, but I had to buy two gallons of WEST epoxy, one was used entirely of course, but I had some to start and have some left. The time was the big thing, and the mess in the shop after grinding and sanding that graphite filled epoxy. All in all I think it is worth the effort.
Al Ge

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Swing keel questions - composite new style