Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / New C22 Kick Up Rudder Design

Author New C22 Kick Up Rudder Design
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
05/18/2005 10:51 PM Pacific Time

There is a new C22 kick up rudder design now available. Perhaps Catalina Direct will consider stocking the item also. As evidenced by the countless rudder messages on this forum as well as other places there are obviously some problems that plague the traditional C22 kick up rudder design. The new design claims to address many of the problems listed (such as: core rot; breakage; not staying down; difficulty getting it back down; aluminum head plate crackes; weather helm; etc). At a recent cruise I heard many favorable comments by owners of the new C22 rudders. The only negative comment that I heard was that the rudder tends to loose its grip when the boat is heeled way over causing the boat to tend to head up. I don't know whether this is due to a difference in size or just a design difference. One sailor went on to point out that the positive side of this issue is that it forces the sailor to keep his boat flatter which is better for performance. Due to the design difference the new rudder is not accepted in the C22 racing circles however it may be a favorable option for the cruiser. For now they can be viewed at: IdaSailor.com
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/23/2005 4:50 AM Pacific Time

I have one of the Ida Sailor rudders - fixed blade version.

What I like about it is the lifetime warranty and the fact that it doesn't aborb water and won't crack open. When sailing a week long cruise, you don't want to worry about your rudder grounding and cracking into little bits and pieces.
The only down side of the Ida Sailor rudder is that it is heavier than factory built. But in this case, heavy is probably a good thing.

Rich Fox
SePlaire #14411
Westfield, IN

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/24/2005 5:06 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone else who has purchased one of these Ida Sailor rudders have any comments on their performance ---especially in heavy air??? I am considering buying one an would like some input on performance. Thanks so much.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/26/2005 4:57 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have any comments on the performance of the IdaSailor rudder when going to weather in heavy air??????????????? Or is it just that "Gentlemen Don't Go To Weather"?
Am I the only person having problems with this site? I haven't gotten a daily posting of messages in over ten days (since 5/17/2005).
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/10/2005 11:31 PM Pacific Time

I would like to point our a very positive experience that I had with a merchant.
I ordered a kickup rudder and tiller assembly from Ida Sailor. They did several things which were above and beyond in my book. First off Joel (the owner or manager) was the person who answered the phone which was very beneficial since I had several questions about his product. He took a lot of time explaining things. He had no C22 rudder heads in stock but since I will be leaving on a cruise in the near future he arranged to have one immediately made and guaranteed that it would be delivered by the time I leave. The tiller is usually shipped unfinished however HE realized that I would have no time to finish it so he arranged to have it varnished for me. I was concerned about corrosion resulting from the mixing of aluminum and steel in a salt water environment so he agreed to apply a sealant between any parts of different metal at no extra charge. He suggested that in the future he may manufacture the rudders with plastic between the aluminum and steel parts. On top of all that he gave me the 10% discount mentioned in Main Brace. The total cost of the rudder with shipping and the extra work will be less than the list price.
I give Ida Sailor a two thumbs up at this point. In the future I will forward an evaluation of the new rudder after my two and half month cruise in Maine.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/16/2005 7:23 AM Pacific Time

Questions About The Ida Sailor Kickup Rudder: A couple of days ago I received my new Ida Sailor kickup rudder as promised. However, after looking at it I have some questions for those people who already have one. 1) The main pivot bolt that attaches the rudder to the rudder head only has a nut with a nylon insert on it (no lever or knob as the old models have). Does everyone just tighten this nut and leave it that way. 2) And if that is all you do, is the squeezing pressure of the head plates adequate to hold the rudder down? 3) Does anyone use the leading edge line to hold the rudder down? It seems that if you hit something the plastic jam cleat would end up broken. 4) What is the point of the plastic pins to hold the rudder down? It seems that that would defeat the whole purpose of the kick up rudder. 5) Some people have installed a large stainless eye bolt where the tiller attaches to the rudder head (so as to be able to secure the rudder to the boat). Where can I find one that is made of good stainless? Tell me that it is Ace Hardware. 6) Does anyone use the heavy duty pintle retaining pin to keep the rudder on? It seems that your gudgeons could end up all bent up if you hit something while drifting backwards. Thank you for your responses. I don't have an opportunity to trial the rudder before I leave on my trip so your experience and insights will be very helpful. If your responses are too long you can send them to: [email protected] however if you respond on this site then perhaps someone else will find them useful.
Thanks so much!!!
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
06/16/2005 11:31 AM Pacific Time

Question? Are you using the Rudder Locking Disk Set for the Kick-Up Rudder (Product #: D1249 from CD)? This distributes the pressure over a greater area when you tighten the bolt clamping the rudder head to the rudder. This should suffice unless you have problems with the rudder kicking up. Then you might need to detension pin.

Peter
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/17/2005 6:58 PM Pacific Time

Attention Ida Sailor Rudder Owners. This is an effort to post my questions (above) that were not posted yesterday because once again the daily posting of messages failed. I reported the problem to Catalina Direct. We will see what happens.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/17/2005 7:35 PM Pacific Time

Philip,
You might want to post this question on chip's site as well I know Ted monitors and post there he has one of the rudders. Also over on the Catalina owners site, David has one of the kick up rudder and monitors that site. Both were on the NGCC
Ken
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/18/2005 5:12 AM Pacific Time

Ken:
Thanks for your suggestions however I had to give up on Chip's site. He has an interesting site with some very witty people participating however I just can't keep up with all the email that it generates. I would never get a chance to go sailing. I will try to write a few people in person or just find out for myself when I go sailing if I run out of time.
Thanks again, Philip
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/18/2005 6:02 PM Pacific Time

Philip, I know about that, :) once you get the question answered, would you post their solution? This seems to be one of those questions everyone that might be interested in a IDA Sailor rudder might want/need to know as well.

Thanks, Ken

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / New C22 Kick Up Rudder Design