Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Convert jib to furling

Author Convert jib to furling
Bill OBrien

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/14/2004 12:32 PM Pacific Time

I obtained a snap-furl system from CD and now need to convert my jib to furling or buy a new one. The present jib is new so I need to think about the conversion. Has any one done this conversion? How did the results come out? What were the costs? Any suggestions on some one to do this? Should I bite the bullet and just buy a new furling sail?

Bill
C-22 8364 "ob1"
Rhinebeck NY
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/14/2004 4:26 PM Pacific Time

Jibs sell easily on this site. If the cost to rig the jib for furling is too high, consider selling your used jib on the site and buying a new one made for roller furling.
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
01/15/2004 12:43 AM Pacific Time

If your sail is new it probably makes sense to convert it depending upon your intended use. If you plan on trailering (and remove the sail at he end of each sailing day) you can have a local sailmaker do it or send it to us. You don’t mention what size heads’l you have but it will cost about $110 for us to convert the luff.

On the other hand, this simple conversion doesn’t provide any sun protection. You will have to hoist a cover over the sail ($195.00 #D1875) or have covers added to the leach and foot if you intend to leave the sail up while moored.

In addition, our new furling sails come equipped with a foam luff. The foam luff mitigates the tendency of a furling sail to get more full as it is furled. This happens because there are extra layers of cloth on the leach and foot due to both the hem and perhaps a cover. Tight foot and leach, baggy middle. The foam luff adds a narrow, thin layer of foam, sewn inside two layers of cloth, just aft of the foil. The strip is widest in the middle and tapers toward the head and foot. Because of the additional thickness provided by the foam, when the first wrap is taken on the furler, the sail is thickest half way up the luff of the sail. Each subsequent wrap therefore makes the sail flatter, just what you want as the wind builds.

If you add all of these features to your existing sail, you will have paid more than purchasing a new sail. Purchase a new sail, subtract the value of your existing sail, and you will probably be money ahead.

Click here for a photo.

For comparison, a new Catalina Direct Offshore 110% furling sail is currently $475.00 (#D2095). The same sail in a 135% which is the most popular, most versatile size is $539 (D2038)

Lowell

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/15/2004 1:11 PM Pacific Time

Currently there are two jib sails on e-bay. One is a 135 furler jib and the other is a standard 135. If you are interested go to e-bay.com and under search type in catalina 22.

Greg

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/18/2004 10:44 AM Pacific Time

I'll be sending the jib to CD for conversion to furling. With the price of conversion of the jib, price and content of the CD snap-furl kit, plus the instructions on the video CD offers on the installation make it look like a doable, cost effective project. Thanks.

Bill
C22 8364 "ob1"
Rhinebeck, NY

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Convert jib to furling