Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / how tender is wing keel C22

Author how tender is wing keel C22
sven
Keswick, Ontario, Canada

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1989 C22

Hull No. 15001

Hailing Port: Pefferlaw
06/19/2005 7:44 PM Pacific Time

I sail in shallow waters and often experience high waves (~4 ft) with 10-15 knot winds. I can handle the pounding of the bow, but I really get unnerved when sailing on a reach with the seas following on an angle. I get nervous when a wave hits me on the side and I get pushed over (gunnels in water) My question is: can this boat get knocked down and put my sail in the water if hit by 4 ft waves on the beam. I think I could handle it, if I knew I was going to come back up (assuming hatches were closed)
Scared of waves in my little sailboat
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
06/20/2005 6:46 AM Pacific Time

You have nothing to worry about!!! As you say, just keep the boat closed up and you and the boat will be fine. Countless times I have ended up out on the water in conditions that would be considered too radical by any sane C22 sailor and I never had reason to worry about the possibility of not making it to port as long as the rigging and sail held up. I keep one of those brass snap hooks handy to secure the sliding hatch so that it does not work its way open in the jolting caused by waves. I also secure all my cockpit and anchor hatches with similar hooks. They have short loops of line attached to them so that I don't drop them in the water. Also I have a sea hood that covers the leading edge of my sliding hatch so that breaking waves do not wash in under the front of the sliding hatch. A towel or window airconditioner soft foam strip insulation can also be stuffed in the crack. I consider my sea hood to be one of the most important pieces of equipment that I have. I believe I have a description of it in the Cruising Tips section. Also I can send a photo of it of you contact me at: [email protected] Of course the wearing of a comfortable wrap around life jacket might be a good idea since the water is probably cold where you sail. If you don't have life lines a safety harness with a THICK line and snap shackle should help eliminate the worry. The thick line is mandatory --- I have found from personal experience that a person can not pull themself back to the moving boat if the line is too thin.
Be prepared and go sailing. Enjoy.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/20/2005 7:02 AM Pacific Time

Good discussion. I would like ot hear more about the "high seas" adventures. I sail my boat on the North Atlantic (Newfoundland) - knowing the limits of the boat is of prime concern to me. By the way, what is your safety harness anchored to?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/20/2005 6:50 PM Pacific Time

Safety In Rough Conditions: A few things I would like to add to my previous message: My safety harness is snap shackled to a THICK (at least 1/2 inch) line which is in turn tied to a cleat or one of the aft rail/stanchions near the boarding ladder. It is long enough so that I can make it to the bow if need be. Of course if you fall in you must be able to get out so I consider a permanently mounted boarding ladder on the stern a safety issue and a must. It also makes it easy to get your rudder back down easily if something kicks it up. If you are sailing in areas where the wind has some spunk then storm sails are a must if you don't want to stress your boat or the crew. I have discussed the sails that I use in the Cruising Issues section under Tips for Cruising and the message title is Storm Sails (one of the latest postings).
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/20/2005 6:53 PM Pacific Time

Tim: I would be interested in learning about the sailing possiblities in Newfoundland. I would consider trailering my boat up there if it is nice. Perhaps you could describe your sailing environment in a message in the Sailing Areas section. Would love to hear about it.
Thanks so much, Philip & Sharon Merlier
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/20/2005 6:54 PM Pacific Time

I've read that it is best to have a short tether on the safety harness so you can't go over the side. Then you don't have to worry about pulling yourself back into the boat. On a C22, an 8 foot tether mounted by the keel winch should let you get to the outboard and up to the mast, but not much more. If you need to get to the bow, your could have a short jackline from the back of the cabin to the mast.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
06/20/2005 11:43 PM Pacific Time

I've been working on setting up a safety harness for single-handing Reflections, and have been told that the jackline ought to be webbing rather than rope, so it doesn't roll under foot, especially if it runs over the middle of the coachroof.

As an alternative, I'm also considering installing two removable wire runs between the two P&S stanchion bases, kept taut with a turnbuckle.

I like the strap on the coachroof idea, but I'm having trouble visualising where to have the anchor points - maybe one just forward of the mast near where the electrics are connected, and the other just to port or starboard of the coachroof, so that the strap doesn't interfere with gaining access to the cabin.

I'd be interested in hearing what people who use safety harnesses do. By the way, I have a tether with three hooks - one on a short length of strap for close work. Local rules require tethers that can be disconnected from both ends in the event the boat sinks and starts to pull you with it. Not a pleasant thought....

Paul / Reflections 13369 / Melbourne Australia
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/21/2005 3:24 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul. What about having a V shaped jackline running from just forward of the port cabintop winch around the mast to just forward of the starboard cabintop winch? Another thought is that the upper shroud chainplates at the deck have 2 holes in them (if your 1986 is like mine). You could have a port and starboard safety line. I've gone as far as getting the safety harness, but haven't purchased a tether.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
06/22/2005 11:11 PM Pacific Time

Shame about the title on this thread - it's an important topic that will be hard to search for.
In the land of the Sydney to Hobart Race, standard racing rules call for all racers to wear harnesses. These must be capable of winching you up into a chopper in gale force winds. My tether has sacrificial stretch indicators on it - If it gets a strong load, the indicator tears and the tether can no longer be used for racing. No worries, though. I don't race or intend to sail Reflections out into Bass Strait. Just like to take safety seriously. Another provision we have here is that anchor points must be welded or be eyebolts, and that crew must be able to clip on when exiting the cabin.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
06/23/2005 9:36 AM Pacific Time

Paul, where do you have your jackline fastened on your C22?
Peter
South Daytona, FL

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / how tender is wing keel C22