Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Marine Radio

Author Marine Radio
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
08/24/2005 6:27 AM Pacific Time

I have an old Raymarine marine radio. It was with my boat when I bought it several years ago. I just recently decided to install and try it out. When trying a radio check with another sailor, I could receive his transmission. However, he could not hear me. He just heard some noise when I keyed my mic.

Does anyone have an idea on what the problem may be? Is it a bad mic? Can they be replaced independent of the radio? I doubt that it is worth the cost to try to have it repaired when considering the price of a new one.

I appreciate any input on the subject.

Bob
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/25/2005 6:24 PM Pacific Time

I know this sounds simple, but did your friend try adjusting the "squelch" on his radio when you were trying to transmit to him?
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Hull No. #8717

08/25/2005 8:30 PM Pacific Time

To be honest, I don't know. We will try again and see if that could be the culprit. We were pretty close, so the squelch would have to be pretty high to block out the signal, IMHO. But who knows. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your idea!

Bob
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/26/2005 6:18 PM Pacific Time

Bob: check the antenna connections and cable carefully. If you have a friend with a CB radio hobby, he might have a meter to check the output of your system. Sounds like maybe your output signal might be weak. Transmission takes power from the source, receiving really doesnt take any power.
Good Luck

Mike
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Hull No. #8717

08/26/2005 8:19 PM Pacific Time

Mike,

I have a meter for checking CB radios. I will try that.

Thanks!

Bob
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/28/2009 7:53 AM Pacific Time

I have a Sea Ranger SR5561 and the radio works great. However, I may not have the right fuse in it because when I transmit on Hi-Power the fuse blows. On LO-Power it works great. So, my question is, what size fuse should it use (it currently has a 1A fast fuse)? Also, does anyone have a manual and, could get a copy of it? Thanks in advance.

Peter
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 10:36 AM Pacific Time

Try to disconnect the coax and antenna, then try to transmit. You may have an antenna that has gone bad. Also, if the fues doesnt blow make sure when you order a new antenna and coax that you get the right ohm value. If you get the wrong value you will burn up the transmitter or reciver.
sacarlettleo87
OAKLAND GARDENS

Boat Name: yachet

Model/Year: 3457, 2017

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/18/2019 3:13 AM Pacific Time

I suggest you buy MARINE VHF RADIO, my father using this, he bought recently it from https://www.reecoupons.com/categories/black-friday and he is happy with him, it's working well, you can find more on there, just go there and buy according to your need.
sacarlettleo87
OAKLAND GARDENS

Boat Name: yachet

Model/Year: 3457, 2017

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/18/2019 3:13 AM Pacific Time

I suggest you buy MARINE VHF RADIO, my father using this, he bought recently it from https://www.reecoupons.com/categories/black-friday and he is happy with him, it's working well, you can find more on there, just go there and buy according to your need.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Marine Radio