Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Gulf coast of Florida - List of good launch ramps with parking

Author Gulf coast of Florida - List of good launch ramps with parking
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
11/24/2005 12:20 AM Pacific Time

I would like to suggest the development of a list of good launch ramps for C22s on Florida's Gulf Coast. If you have sailed the west coast of Florida please share your knowledge of good places to launch.
Information to include:
1) Location of ramp and conditions of ramp?
2) Is secure overnight parking available at the ramp?
3) Are there any fees or reservations required?
Thank you, Philip & Sharon Merlier
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
11/24/2005 7:52 AM Pacific Time

Panama City Docks, Panama City. We were there for the Fall Hooli-Loop cruise, Parking lot is patrolled by city police, lot is flooded with lights. Ramp is fairly deep although one can have a bit of a problem with a wing at low tide. There was no charge, we were gone for a week. There were no problems with the trucks or trailers when we returned.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/26/2005 7:49 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Ft Myers/Punta Gorda area and the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area??
Scott Tomlinson
Windermere FL

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cocoa
11/28/2005 7:39 PM Pacific Time

Captiva Island, just north of Ft Myers has a beautiful resort called Tween Waters Inn. The rates are variable but best before Christmas. They have a free boat ramp and place to store the trailer if you stay at the Inn. They charge extra if you dock at their Marina but they do permit you to beach your boat for free. (The beach area is near some expensive boats docked nearby so this made me uncomfortable). The ramp area is a little tight for a Catalina 22 but workable. Breakfast is included.

1-800-223-5865; www.tween-waters.com

Plan to stay in the channel when you sail.

There is a great place to eat just south of Tween Waters called the Green Flash.

Check on the Red Tide before visiting the gulf coast of FL. A nasty red tide came last January and has been malingering from Clearwater area south towards Venice.
I don't think the word is getting out about this menance to a beautiful coast line.

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/29/2005 12:29 AM Pacific Time

Is the Red Tide still an issue at this time? In Florida is there an 800 number that a person can call to check on the Red Tide.
In Maine there is an 800 number that is update daily.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/29/2005 12:31 AM Pacific Time

Can anyone recommend any other ramps on the West coast that are Not associated with an inn or hotel??
Scott Tomlinson
Windermere FL

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cocoa
11/29/2005 8:33 AM Pacific Time

Just north of Venice you will find a beautiful place called Casey Key. You will cross an intercoastal bridge, make a right turn and then another immediate right turn and meander back to a popular and free boat ramp.

Make sure you take your horn so you can signal the bridge operator to let you under the bridge.

Also in this area the only place to sail is in the gulf. The intercoastal water way is narrow and shallow out of the channel.
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
11/29/2005 9:36 AM Pacific Time

When I go to the Ft. Walton Beach area, I launch at the Shalimar Yacht Basin. They allow you to keep your vehicle and trailer there too. Fee is $10 per day. The ramp isn't great; but, it is usable and deep. Easy access to the bay and gulf from this spot.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
11/29/2005 12:14 PM Pacific Time

I can't help much with sailing and launch ramps, but would caution you on shallow water outside the Intercoastal around Captiva. There is a large area east of North Captiva and east of the Intercoastal that the Steve Colgate Sailing school uses, but other than that, I would stay in the channels. The resort and harbor on the north end of Captiva is still closed from hurricane Charlie. I was there Thanksgiving week with a rental fishing boat and they need another couple of months before they open. There is very good fishing in the pass between Cayo Costa and North Captiva. Bottom drifting with shrimp, my grandson and I caught 13 different kinds of fish, small bonnet shark, red and black grouper, permit, small tarpon, sea robin, sail cat, assorted jacks and a couple I never saw before. Plenty of dolphins in the pass. We had one chase a tarpon that was on my grandsons line right next to the boat. We lost the tarpon, but the dolphin hung around the boat for about 5 minutes, and at one time poked his head out of the water five feet from the boat. I think he was begging for a fish. Also, if you can get on the beach at the south end of Cayo Costa, the shelling is exellent most of the time.

There is a restuarant on Cabbage Key, accessible by their own channel off the Intercoastal, that is said to be Buffet's inspiration for "Cheeseburger in Paradise". A fun stop for lunch. The Intercoastal through this stretch is wide enough for sailing.

This is a good time to be on Florida's west coast - good weather and almost always a nice breeze, and the water is still warm enough for swimming.
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
09/11/2006 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Well this info is a bit dated so it should all be checked out before going. First I have never used it but there is a very large concrete ramp in Sarasota. It is just north of the city. Sarasota has a large anchorage out in front of it. Travel north along the road from there maybe 2 miles? there is a very large paved parking area. Lots of lighting and activity. It is rather urban though, near the edge of a somewhat crappy area of town. I spent the night there in my RV no hassels, but you should certianly check it out before dragging the boat there.
This is not really the West Coast but the everglades national park has a nice ramp in Flamingo. I saw a number of sailboats launch there with deeper draft then c-22, They have a parking area, marina, campground, store and resteruant. It has been years since I was there, but you used to be able to leave your car and trailer for days. Totally safe. This was a great place as you can shoot right to the keys. Again please check this out as it seems each year there are more and more regulations and things that were once FREE are no longer.
don nelson
St. Petersburg, Florida

Boat Name: Blue Horizion

Model/Year: 22/1980

Hull No. 9713

Hailing Port: ST. PETERSBURG, FL.
09/14/2006 12:01 PM Pacific Time

St. Petersburg area is Fort Desoto State Park. Has very nice boat ramps. Five dollars gives you 24 hours use. A very well kept Park. Lots of different camp sites, beach, Kayaking, fishing. Easy access to the Gulf. ( 10 min. )
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
09/14/2006 1:06 PM Pacific Time

In the Niceville/Ft. Walton area you can put in at the City park in Niceville for free and park for free as well. (Lincoln Park) In Shalimar, the Shalimar Yacht Basin has a deep ramp and they let you park there for a fee.
Mike McGee
Navarre, FL

Boat Name: Carolina Dreamin'

Model/Year: Cat 22 / 1986

Hull No. 13218

Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
05/30/2009 1:17 PM Pacific Time

I was able to get my Cat 22 in the water at high tide at Navarre Beach, FL. Was on the ramp at high tide and got the boat in the water by myself with very little effort. The ramp and parking is free. However, very crowded during the summer.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Gulf coast of Florida - List of good launch ramps with parking