Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Halyard clutches

Author Replacing Halyard clutches
David Whitey
Humble TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: 1985 Catalina 22

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
12/15/2005 6:41 PM Pacific Time

I am considering replacing the original clutches on my 85 Catalina 22. Has anyone replaced the originals on their boat with a good replacement? I am looking at the Product Z2056 Spinlock XAS, listed here on Catalina Direct. I am curious if the mounting matches up or if new drilling will be required. Is there a better clutch to replace the ones I have. They are both double clutches.

Thanks
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
12/16/2005 11:16 AM Pacific Time

The rope clutches are off a C-25, standard is a plastic cleat. If they are slipping try moving to another slot or adjusting the cam lock, one side of the duel locks does work better than the other. The Halyards are about 2 years old, yet the rope could be worn at the "stop" spot, you might try adjusting the tie off spot on the sails to move the "stop" spot a foot or so the lock will be stopping on uncompressed rope, rather than the same lock spot. The only problem I had with them is after a thorough soaping & cleaning which essentially greased the halyards. That day they were moved to the other clutch & worked fine.

Most every other rope clutch is wider, if you added cabin top winches the clutch spot is where the winches would go & the handrail would need to be cut off 1 foot forward to accommodate winches & new clutches.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Halyard clutches