Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Lock Down Bolt Jammed

Author Keel Lock Down Bolt Jammed
Doug Murphy
Springfield, Missouri

Boat Name: Dulcibella

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Stockton State Park Marina
06/25/2006 7:42 AM Pacific Time

The Keel Lock Down bolt will not move in any direction. I am not sure if it is simply in need of lubrication or it is somehow truly locked to the keel. I tried to crank up the keel, however, I was somewhat reluctant. It seemed that the keel winch cable became extremely tight. I did not want to force the issue on raising the keel until I determined if the lock down bolt is creating a problem. To the best of my knowledge the boat has never been sailed in a saltwater environment. It is on a freshwater lake. The lock down bolt appears to be turned out quite away from the keel. Also, it does not appear corroded. All suggestions are appreciated.
David F.
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Clair de Lune

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6140

Hailing Port: Fort Phantom Lake
06/25/2006 3:38 PM Pacific Time

On mine, I sprayed 3M penetrating oil on the bolt both inside and from inside the keel trunk ( on the trailer ) about twice a day for a couple days then used a cheater bar to slowly start backing it out. It took a while because I didn't want to break anything and it looked like the bolt was a little bent. I'd back it a little, spray on more penetrating oil, then screw it back in a little.

It took a while to back it out enough to clear the keel. I'm in the "never use the lock down bolt" crowd. It's not leaking so I just leave it alone now that it's out of the way.

David
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/26/2006 3:49 AM Pacific Time

Doug,

David's approach worked for me. However, I use PB Blaster, Sold at my local Ace Hardware.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
06/27/2006 6:19 AM Pacific Time

Doug, on my '70 when I bought it I didn't even know there was such a thing. When I found it it was frozen solid. I will second the other guys and say that a LOT of back and forth action will make the job easier and hopefully prevent damage. I used a small deep well socket on a ratchet over the end of mine for leverage. Mine is not a "T" but is bent at about 30 degrees. As you work the bolt in and out, the corroded material falls off of the threads. Always try to gain a little ground on each turn. It can be done with patience and a few bloody knuckles. I never use the thing either. Be sure to liberally grease the threads with heavy water proof grease before re-inserting the bolt.

Greg
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/27/2006 9:47 AM Pacific Time

I believe the best bet is to have a look underneath - see if it is bent. (this can happen if the keil is raised or more likly dropped/lowered while the locking pin is "in".)

Mine was bent when I bought the boat and I had to cut off the inside portion of the bolt and remove from the bottom - but then there was nothing else to repair - just a part.

If you keep working it thinking it is corroded or fused, but is is really bent, you may damage the glassed in plate thet it is threaded into - this would not be a fun repair...I believe the plate is steel and the pin is stainless - so the plate will be damaged by the pin.
Wayne
San Diego

Boat Name: Arrythmia

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1523

Hailing Port: Fiddlers Cove
07/05/2006 11:28 AM Pacific Time

Hi All. I just cracked the glass around my lockdown bolt and strap. The strap is rusted through, and I am leaking water. I currently have the boat on its trailer. Any suggestions on replacing and or cut out and repair.

Wayne
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/06/2006 9:54 AM Pacific Time

Wayne. CD sells a replacement for the lockdown assembly. Seems pretty simple. Grind out the old, clean up where the old was and glass in a new assembly. Make sure you get resin and glass mesh on both sides of the locking bolt.
Wayne
San Diego

Hull No. 1523

07/06/2006 12:15 PM Pacific Time

Thanks RC. I just ordered the strap and bolt. I hear a lot about just glassing the hole over once the old one is ground out. This would meen not using the bolt at all. Kind of confused that's all. Well thanks for the info though.

Wayne
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/07/2006 7:45 AM Pacific Time

Hi Wayne - There are two distinct schools of thought here. The "lockers" say the design called for a "locking" bolt that prevents the keel swinging into the hull and causing damage in case of a knock down.

The "non-lockers" say the little pin is not up to the job when it comes to stopping a 550 lb. keel from going whereever it wants. The "locked" down keel can do serious damage to the keel trunk if it is grounded.

So depending on to which school of thought you subscribe, should direct your repair.

I like-grind out the leaking strap (There is probably some cracked trunk as well and repair the area without replacing the strap and bolt.
Wayne
San Diego

Hull No. 1523

07/07/2006 8:02 PM Pacific Time

Hi T Dick . Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have much chance of running aground since most of my sailing will be in the San Diego bay. I guess I will become a non-locker. I have read a lot of pros and cons and the bolt seems to leak most of the time no matter what. Thanks again for the input.

Wayne
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/09/2007 10:26 AM Pacific Time

I'm hoping my swing-keel isn't primed for catastrophic failure, but with the pin unlocked, my keel rocks side to side making a muted, but definitely perceptible "thud". My understanding is the pin simply presses the keel to one side of the truck and prevents it from rocking on the silicon-bronze pivot. Also, I believe in case of grounding, the pin does NOT offer enough resistance to keep the keel down and, therefore, it WILL allow it to swing up protecting the hull.

From the 1987 Cat 22 owner's manual:

"The "lock down bolt" operates on a friction principle designed to prevent the keel from becoming severely damaged in the event of a collision with underwater obstructions."

Hope that helps some.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Lock Down Bolt Jammed