Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / How to remove water under dinette?

Author How to remove water under dinette?
Jayne West
Amesbury, MA

Boat Name: Singladida

Model/Year: 1982 C22

Hull No. CTYH1161M82T

Hailing Port: Newburyport, MA
06/28/2006 10:19 AM Pacific Time

My 1982 Catalina 22 has been out of the water for 5 years. While getting it ready for launch, I found that there is a LOT of water under the dinette area (you can hear it when you step on that area). I've re-installed the windows in hopes that's where the water was entering (we'll see if that's the only place), but I don't know how to get the existing water out.

There was also water below and aft of the hatch in front of the head, which I was able to siphon off with a hose. Could I do the same under the dinette? If so, how to I access that area?

Any ideas? Thanks much in advance!
Jayne
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/28/2006 3:56 PM Pacific Time

Jayne,

You might try using a wet/dry shop vac. I use one on my boat and it works great. You can flatten the hose a bit and shove it into the small spaces between the liner and the hull

Joe
Jayne West
Amesbury, MA

Boat Name: Singladida

Model/Year: 1982 C22

Hull No. CTYH1161M82T

Hailing Port: Newburyport, MA
06/28/2006 4:14 PM Pacific Time

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much, good suggestion. Where are those small spaces, though??....I can't seem to find any place to get in there. I siphoned a lot of water from just under the head area, but can't seem to get to the area under the dinette.

Jayne
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/28/2006 8:59 PM Pacific Time

Jayne,

The space under my dinette may be different than yours as my boat is a fixed keel. The space under the forward port dinette seat is sealed from the other spaces. There is a little gap in the aft port seat that goes under the liner that is very small (on my boat).

Joe

Tim Florek
Neenah, Wisconsin

Boat Name: Love n Luck

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10301

Hailing Port: Neenah
07/03/2006 6:47 PM Pacific Time

Previously some people have drilled a small hold from the other storage areas. My boat had a small hole from a previous owner. But then you let the boat sit on an angle(Not much an angle) enought to allow the water to drain slowly. Others create an attachement for a vac or water pump and slide a small 1/2" hose into the space to try to suck more water out.
Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/04/2006 7:50 AM Pacific Time

no need to drill or anything like that. I solved the same problem by just raising the front of the trailer (and boat) as high as possible and leaving it so over night. the next day, when I leveled the trailer and went aboard, I was able to sponge up the water from the area where the battery sits. no more water under the dinette floor.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / How to remove water under dinette?