Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Replacement of Keel Winch Cover

Author Replacement of Keel Winch Cover
Tim Florek
Neenah, Wisconsin

Boat Name: Love n Luck

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10301

Hailing Port: Neenah
02/10/2004 5:44 AM Pacific Time

I was wondering if anyone had replaced the board that covers the keel winch area. Mine is in bad shape and I don't see it's replacement part in the CD parts list.

I was wondering what people used and how well it all worked.
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
02/10/2004 8:20 PM Pacific Time

Tim:

As I noticed your 1981 year and hull number, I think my 81 boat with hull number 9911 is probably similar to yours. Note, there could be differences between our boats, but for practical purposes I will assume similarity.

I think the problem you have is that merely replacing that board that covers the keel winch with just another flat boat is not possible as the original board on the backside that faces the winch has a depression cut into it to allow it to rest over the winch while the outside is flat.

While one could use a router on a board to recreate this depression that may not be a viable option for everyone.

However, in place of a depression, you might possibly just cut out a hole in a new board that followed the dimensions of the depression. In that way the board could lay flat across the top where it is secured with two screws. The angle on the top of the board should be fairly easy to replicate.

The question then arises as to how it will look. Well, better than without a board, but not as nice the original with the depression.

As interiors sell boats, I feel it is important that you perform a good job on this otherwise non-crucial item. If nothing else, make a good effort to match it as best you can to the other wood in the interior.

It might also be possible to have the board fully replicated in dark oblique plastic, similar to that used on the windows of newer boats. There are plastic outfits that make parts for boats, such as replicating crib boards. They make up new dark oblique plastic crib boards based upon the wood crib boards that clients bring them. As these crib boards have channels cut into them with a router, I believe it is possible for theses plastic outfits to cut a depression in the back of a piece of plastic board as you require. While this option may be cost prohibitive, appearance wise it should be very acceptable as I think it would go with just about any interior.

On my boat I once had the keel down at high tide while at my mooring. As the tide ebbed, the keel rested onto the bottom and pushed the keel cable straight up into the boat where it started to loop around the back side of the winch flange. As that board covered up everything, I did not notice that the keel cable was dislodged into this position. When I began to crank up on the winch, I inadvertently made matters much worse by tightly wrapping the cable onto the backside of the winch flange where it eventually jammed the winch so it could not turn. I then had to support the keel with a line attached to the jib winches so that I could relieve pressure off the winch and remove it to untangle the cable from behind the winch.

As I do not wish to replicate this event, I cut a large hole into the board that covers the winch so I can always check the position of the cable before I start cranking. It does not look wonderful, but it does provide peace of mind.

Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/11/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I also need this replaced. I was planning to use a piece of plexiglass or lexan, and possibly use this location to mount a few items. The VHF and possibly the electrical panel, behind the panel with a cover. With this I can watch the / inspect the cable easily.

It would be nice if the winch was out of the way more, having the handle or the pin when the handle is removed is probably the least ergonomic part of the boat. When you remove the handle the clutch releases and you can not tension the cable.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/11/2004 4:25 PM Pacific Time

Paul- The winch handle is an essential part of the winch. It should not be removed. Moving it clockwise tightens the clutch and turns the drum to raise the keel, Counterclockwise movement disengages the clutch and allows the keel to lower. As for for seeing and inspecting the cable, just stick your head into the quarter berth. You can get a good view of the cable and the winch drum. I suggest that you re-create the existing panel, including the routed out area where the winch protrudes into the plane of the panel.
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/12/2004 11:09 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Dick,

Yes I saw that the handle can not be removed without releasing the clutch. Then the cable would just be flapping in the (hydraulic) breeze.

I was looking as making a hand knob (smooth and round) to replace the handle when the keel is down, but the shape of the pin that the handle screws onto is custom - possibly still worth looking into. - My family and every visitor catches their heel on the handle so it is the least popular item on the boat ( and when tightened up you have to live with the handle where it ends up)

Another plus is that way I can stow the handle at the locking pin as a reminder...

As for the plexiglass the cable ALWAYS piles up on the back side of the drum, usually releasing in a loud and potentally damaging thud. I want to watch this as I am cranking, so turning the handle with my head around the corner is not easy.

Has anyone had any luck relocating the winch or using an electric winch that you know of. It looks like it would be possible, and this would clean up the companionway. With a pulley in place of the winch, the cable seems that it could easily be run to the forward end of the port locker, and accessed behind the dinette. I was looking at a small trailer winch (12 v) with manual back up.

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/12/2004 12:44 PM Pacific Time

I won't comment on replacing the winch with an electric one. Sounds like overkill to me.

I can't remember for sure, but I thought the winch base had slots in it, so the winch could be moved forward or aft to better line it up with the direction of the cable to help prevent pile up on one side of the drum. Try shimming the front or back side of the winch body to level out the windings on the winch drum.

The winch handle can be positioned so that it is horizontal and the part that is grasped can be positioned next to the dinette backrest, out of the way of wayward feet. I use a short length of line run through an eye strap screwed to the side of the dinette backrest to hold the handle out of the way.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
05/14/2004 2:45 PM Pacific Time

My #1051 large drum winch has one slotted hole at the drum end and three round holes crossways at the other so it is not adjustable. even if the round holes were oblong it would only adjust port to starboard. No help. On the other hand, I can take the handle off and use a wrench. The handle being on or off makes no difference to the operation of the winch as the rachet controls rotation in one direction and the clutch in the other. Mine happens to be out on the workbench so I can play with it. Dick's solution seems the best.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
05/17/2004 8:33 AM Pacific Time

My keel cable also piles up on the back side of the wench drum. I have diagnosed the problem. My winch is mounted flush with the angled underside of the companionway step. The wench axis is tilted by at lease 15 degrees from plumb with the keel cable loading and causes. This is causing the cable pile up on the rear of the drum.

My next project will build and insert a wedge between the wench and the underside of the companionway step to bring the wench drum axis in line with the cable loading. For now I just leave the wench access cover off and guide the cable onto the drum by hand to prevent riding turns.
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
02/09/2006 8:34 PM Pacific Time

The keel winch cover on my boat had deteriorated to the point I simply removed it. During the restoration of this boat the cosmetics of this location prompted me to put a piece of similar board found at a local boat yard (scavanged a C-22 destined for the dump) and mounted it behind the winch! I also mounted the dual battery switch on this baord. "We have balance of function and looks!"
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
02/10/2006 9:22 AM Pacific Time

I covered the board with formica in a nutral color that complemented the cabin liner. It turned out very nice. it was much easier than cutting and refinishing a new piece of wood.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Replacement of Keel Winch Cover