Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / swing trailer vs. wing trailer

Author swing trailer vs. wing trailer
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
08/21/2006 7:51 PM Pacific Time

Can a swing trailer be converted to a wing trailer? all of my bunk supports are adjustable..... but I have not seen a wing trailer side by side with a swing.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/22/2006 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Hi Chad, the short answer is yes, depending on the trailer. My Performance trailer, came to me set up for a winged keel. The previous owner wanted a new one for his move from Florida to retirement in N.C. I had to lower the bunk supports and adjust the position of the bow support to fit my swing keel boat. I also removed the keel guide and replaced it with boat guide ons attached to the trailer frame.

I see no reason, why you could not do the reverse. Check with your trailer manufacturer to order the longer bunk supports.

Check out the differences in trailer set up, here. Go to:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c227976/my_photos and select Sailing Photos 2 and 3.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / swing trailer vs. wing trailer