Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / self tailing winch

Author self tailing winch
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
09/11/2006 8:33 AM Pacific Time

what is a self tailing winch? is it worth the extra $'s . thanks, Chad
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
09/11/2006 6:09 PM Pacific Time

chad a self tailing winch has a rubber ring around the top that acts as a jam cleat as well as a metal arm that as you winch the sail in pulls or (tails) the line so while winching you only need to worry about spinning the winch handle.

Is it worth it? Well depends on the boat. I think for anything 27 feet or above it is essential especially if you will be sailing short handed.

On a C22?
I wouldnt see the benefit at all, I barely have to use my winch and I sail alone all the time. If you really want to experience the benefits without spending the money, goto westmarine they make something called winch toppers. Which is the rubber piece on top of self tailers as I mentioned above. I have heard some good things about them

Good luck
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/12/2006 4:57 AM Pacific Time

Chad,

Rick is right about the winches. I can't remember ever needing my winches to adjust the jib sheets. With this small vessel, the forces at work don't need the extra leverage for sail trim. I even took the halyard winch off of my mast since it is unnecessary. I have a friend who bought the winch toppers and was quite satisified with them. Save your money.

Greg
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/12/2006 8:39 AM Pacific Time

What is the proper turn to put on the halyard to winch it up? I, one time, used the winch as I couldn't keep the bow into the wind and had air in my sail and not enough muscle power to raise the main.
The line got so tight, crossing over itself, that I couldn't get it off the winch and had to pry it with a screw driver. At that, it was a tough job. I sure didn't want to have to cut it!
If these rubber toppers work well, maybe one would not have to run the line over itself to keep it from slipping. I sure don't know much about all this fancy lingo and never knew what a self tailing winch was, either.
Thanks.
Linda
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
09/12/2006 10:13 PM Pacific Time

Linda,

Rule of thumb for winch wraps 2 minimum, 3 when the wind is high
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
09/12/2006 10:58 PM Pacific Time

In regards to self tailing winches: My personal opinion is that they are well worth the extra cost and I will never own a boat without them!!
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
09/13/2006 3:41 AM Pacific Time

I don't have self tailers on "FrogZilla ", the boat I race, as it takes longer to remove the sheet when tacking with a possibility of snagging when tacking quickly. On "LeapFrog" an '88 wing keel that we cruise on we have the self tailing winches. About 10 years ago Jane wanted self tacking winches after using them on a charter boat in the BVIs. I said that was rediculous and refused to spend the money. She quit sailing. Five years later she said she wanted to start sailing with me again. I immediately, without her asking, bought the selftailers. After using them for a while I regretted not having bought them to begin with. I will definately have them on any boat I cruise. Making sail adjustments is much easier, needing only one hand and not having to fool with cleating and un cleating, especially when solo. Are they necessary, no. Are they nice to have? You bet!!
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
09/13/2006 3:41 AM Pacific Time

I don't have self tailers on "FrogZilla ", the boat I race, as it takes longer to remove the sheet when tacking with a possibility of snagging when tacking quickly. On "LeapFrog" an '88 wing keel that we cruise on we have the self tailing winches. About 10 years ago Jane wanted self tacking winches after using them on a charter boat in the BVIs. I said that was rediculous and refused to spend the money. She quit sailing. Five years later she said she wanted to start sailing with me again. I immediately, without her asking, bought the selftailers. After using them for a while I regretted not having bought them to begin with. I will definately have them on any boat I cruise. Making sail adjustments is much easier, needing only one hand and not having to fool with cleating and un cleating, especially when solo. Are they necessary, no. Are they nice to have? You bet!!
Ron Norton
Katy, TX

Boat Name: Vela

Model/Year: C22 / 1984

Hull No. 12037

Hailing Port: Katy, TX
09/13/2006 7:04 AM Pacific Time

I agree with Philip and Sharon. I love self tailing winches, especially when single handing. I just bought a set of used Lewmar 15 ST to put on the C22 I bought last year and just finished some renewing. Ready to hit the water now.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
09/13/2006 9:23 AM Pacific Time

More on number of wraps on the winch. I was taught to put on only one wrao until the sail was almost trimmed in order to reduce the possibility of an override. Then to harden up, add two more wraps. The load on the cleat is highly dependant on the number of wraps. For a single wrap, one pound of tension on the sheet will hold about 10 pounds on the sail. But it goes up about 5 times for each additional wrap, so 1 pound on the sheet will hold 250 pounds with 3 wraps. It is also important that the lead of the sheet from the winch to the cleat is fair and does not invite an override. The cleat locations on my boat were impossible to use when I got it. I raised them up on blocks to get a better angle but I am sure they are not as strong either so I insist on 3 turns on the winches.
Back on topic, after using self tailer's on a charter in the BVI, I sure wish I had them on my C22.

Greg Baker
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/13/2006 7:02 PM Pacific Time

Personally, self tailing winches are great. Very helpful when sailing solo or with unexperienced crew. I got my Lewmar 15 ST winches on ebay, never used, almost half the price. Recommended.

"Spirit" #13485
Gary
Hayden, ID

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22, 1976

Hull No. 5092

Hailing Port: Bayview
06/16/2007 10:12 PM Pacific Time

Winches are one of those things that when you finally break down and get them, you wonder how you ever did without them. I sailed for a couple of years without winches without much of a problem -- until the wind picked up. How do you sail when it takes two arms just to pull the sheet in?

The problem with standard winches is that it once again takes two hands - one to crank the winch and one to put tension on the tail, otherwise the winch just spins and does nothing.

Bite the bullet and get self tailers. It makes it so much easier and enjoyable.
I got Lewmar 14ST from Mauriprosaling.com for about $360.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / self tailing winch