Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / 150 Gennoa

Author 150 Gennoa
Scott Harding

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/29/2006 1:24 PM Pacific Time

How can I tell how much wind I can saftly sail my boat in with a 150 Gennoa
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
10/30/2006 9:15 AM Pacific Time

The 150 is for light winds. I wouldnt use it for over 10 knots winds and that may be pushing it. My boat tends to be overpowered with wind higher than that.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
10/30/2006 9:22 AM Pacific Time

The maximum wind level is somewhat dependent on your sails. If they are old and baggy or a fuller cut, you will need to head in sooner than if they are new and/or flat. For good sails the limit is probably somewhere around 18-20 kts although many will quit long before and some will quit long before then..

A good rule of thumb is to sail within your comfort level. As you gain experience and confidence the winds you feel safe in will increase. As the winds increase there will be a point where you feel you are no longer in control of the boat. When you begin to feel more than a little uncomfortable, it's time to head for the marina.

Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
10/30/2006 10:28 AM Pacific Time

As for Windy Conditions.
It all has to do with the amount of sail area you have up for the conditions.

Two weeks ago I was out with my 3 yr old son and an inexperienced adult in 22knot sustained winds with gusts that were most likely as high as 30knots.

I had in one reef in the main and the genny unfurled to not much more than a storm jib size.

My C22 swing keel handled surprisingly well. She stayed mostly flat and heeled about 10 to 15 degrees in the blows. I sail in a BAY if it were the ocean and more than the 1 to 2 ft waves were a factor I wouldnt not want to be out in any big seas.

Just my 2 cents.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/30/2006 5:19 PM Pacific Time

There is no one answer to that question, and I doubt for liability purposes any sailor worth his salt would give you a definitive answer. So many factors would affect the answer. Sailing is an activity inherent with danger. IMHO practice, building on skills and knowledge and sailing a seaworthy craft can lessen the danger, but the danger will always be there, no matter what size sail you use or size motor you have. Be carefull out there!
Scott Harding

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/01/2006 2:42 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for your comments. When I bought my boat the owner told me I should not sail with my 150 in more than 8 mph of wind however I have noticed my boat is very stiff with a 100. I can't tell if my 150 is a light one or a heavy one. Normally I single hand the boat and I can't see around it anyway so I don' use it much. I promise not to hold anyone responsable for anything I do on my boat
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
11/01/2006 6:27 AM Pacific Time

Scott,

My story was meant to give you information. I am an accomplished sailor I race, and have been on sail boats since I was 6 and Im 35 now.

Basically Lynn is right there is now rule just basic guide lines. The one rule I have always followed is:
"The time to reef the sails is the first time you THINK about doing it."

I have followed that philosophy and it has served me well. You cant read about experience so just go do it and reef often and early.

Thanks
Rick

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / 150 Gennoa