Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Help keel will NOT go down

Author Help keel will NOT go down
rick dahlgren
malta, ny

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1972 catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: ticonderoga, ny
07/31/2007 7:08 PM Pacific Time

Hi, recently bought a started sailing a 72 Catalina 22. Love the boat but cannot get the swing keel to go down. It was on the trailer when I bought it, put it in the water and sailed away. Tried to get the keel to lower and no luck. I was able to get it to go up a couple of inches, heard the pawl click, but will not go down.
Any advise would be appreciated.
rick
jody
Meridianville Al

Boat Name: Monkey Toes

Model/Year: 22 1979

Hull No. 8917

Hailing Port: Meridianville AL
08/02/2007 2:37 PM Pacific Time

Rick,
Have you tried loosening the locking bolt?
I can't think of anything else except lots of rust but, then it shouldn't move up or down.
good luck jody
rick dahlgren
malta, ny

Boat Name:

Hull No.

08/03/2007 5:19 AM Pacific Time

Hi Jody,
I have loosened the bolt fully and it does not seem to make any difference. When I turn the winch handle to go down, the handle just spins off the end of the screw.
Any other thoughts?
rick
rick dahlgren
malta, ny

Boat Name:

Hull No.

08/06/2007 6:15 PM Pacific Time

Finally got it to go down. Put a nut on end and it held winch handle on. Couple of pushes and "pop" it loosened up and goes down. What a difference in sailing, much less weather helm, points higher and more stable. YEAH!!
rick

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Help keel will NOT go down