Swing Keel Replacement

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Centerboard Lanyard

Author Centerboard Lanyard
Jeff Hart
Hampton, VA

Boat Name: No Name Yet

Model/Year: C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Hampton, VA
08/16/2007 7:16 PM Pacific Time

A friend has acquired an early C-22. Repairs to the bottom of the companionway and the narrow bridgedeck indicate trouble with cranking the board up over a period of time. A 2x4 bolted to the bridgedeck appears to be an earlier fix, but right now the companionway sill sags toward a 3/4" open crack in the middle. My question is this: can I cut the hose back and clamp the CB lanyard to hold the board up while I repair the damged area with the boat in the water? The lanyard will need to be replaced at the next haulout so damage to the wire is not a concern. I just want to know how much water will come in at the ball.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
08/17/2007 1:33 PM Pacific Time

If i understand the description correctly, you want to repair the companion way
step that also supports the keel winch. the boat is in the water,keel down,there should be slack in the cable. there is no need the damage the tube,just remove the winch,2 bolts. I helped a friend fix the area by putting a 1 x 4 piece of oak
from home depot across the area after repairing with fiberglass and cloth.
the finished area was smoothed and the oak covered the area and looks good.

Swing Keel Replacement
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Centerboard Lanyard