Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Scupper through-hull value

Author Scupper through-hull value
JON PICKETT
ALBUQUERQUE, NM

Boat Name: COLONEL MUSTARD

Model/Year: C-22 1973

Hull No. 1624

Hailing Port: ALBUQUERQUE
12/29/2007 9:34 AM Pacific Time

Here's a stupid question: what is the purpose of the scupper through-hull valve? Does a bilge pump attach to it? I'm talking about the one forward on the boat, under the V berth.

Thanks,

Jon
Albuquerque, NM
Lee Scott
Birmingham, AL

Boat Name: Shoot the Breeze

Model/Year: C22 - 1981

Hull No. 10212

Hailing Port: Lay Lake
12/30/2007 8:35 AM Pacific Time

Jon,

Some former owner must have added that. I don't think the factory installed a through-hull up under the v-berth area. The only factory-installed through hull is back just aft of the companionway where the cockpit scuppers drain through it.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/30/2007 9:12 AM Pacific Time

The thru hull forward on the older boats was for the over board head that was standard. Technically to race in PHRF a boat must have: an enclosed head (the C22's had a curtain); a galley with a whale (that is a pump with water storage); lifelines ( which the C22 Association has allowed to be removed); a man-over-board life ring with pole, light, whistle, and ERB attached, to be within the reach of the helmsman (our class rules do ot require it and I think it is waived for small inland lakes);
But that was why they had an inboard head.

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Scupper through-hull value