Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / suggestions for repairing a leak in the hull

Author suggestions for repairing a leak in the hull
Don Haisley
Hailey, Idaho

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1974

Hull No. 3732

Hailing Port:
12/29/2007 8:23 PM Pacific Time

I have a leak in my hull that appears to be coming from where the drain hose from the cockpit scuppers passes through the hull into the aft end of the keel box to drain. I had left my boat in a shallow, sandy area for a couple of weeks with an anchor off the bow and stern tied to shore. When I returned to the lake she was slightly grounded (I was able to push her back into deeper water) and had taken on quite a bit of water. It appears that there are some small cracks in the fiberglass where the drain hose passes through hull and I could see water oozing into the bilge at that point. So... What is the best way to approach repairs?? Can I cut out the section on the bilge side, epoxy the hull from the inside and re-glass the area in the bilge?? Or is there an easier way? Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/30/2007 9:22 AM Pacific Time

You should be able to epoxy from the inside. However, to get a good bond you will have have it dry and you should grind off the dirty outside of the area. If you can follow the leak and grind it out, then fill with woven glass mat saturated with epoxy and cover with a layer or two of glass/epoxy, grinding smooth between coats/layers.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / suggestions for repairing a leak in the hull