Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Stepping advice - gin pole vs. cruch from cabin?

Author Mast Stepping advice - gin pole vs. cruch from cabin?
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/14/2008 5:56 AM Pacific Time

I have yet to step the mast for the first time and I'm horrified to say the least. I want to have the ability and system to do this solo just in case. I was going to build a gin pole (like this one... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9TRjBKCQ8&feature=related

but just recently saw another method that looks easy - its a crutch much like the stern cruches, but it sits against the step just inside the companion way. Do to the proximity to the base, it gives a great angle and is almost half way up. It looks like from this angle, anyone can pull it up and secure (here's the video...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjUi2h0mX8&feature=related

Any thoughts?
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
08/14/2008 6:36 AM Pacific Time

Hello
I built a gin pole using instructions from a sight listed on this forum-my 10 year old can step the mast in 10 knot gusts without my help. The pole is built out of 2X4 s and a ten dollar harbor freight winch. Everything else was just bit and pieces I had laying around. I once had to lower the mast using the gin pole in 35 mph gusts I was a bit worried but everything went fine.

Go sailing
Vernon
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/14/2008 11:45 AM Pacific Time

I have a gin pole that I made from a 1 1/2" piece of aluminum conduit. I use the jib halyard and the trailer winch. The top of the pole is stabilized side-to-side with some low stretch line secured to my turning blocks on the cabin top. Easy and low cost! Apparently, I've never taken any pictures of it set up or in action. I could do that next week when I'm at the boat if you'd like.

David
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
08/15/2008 8:11 AM Pacific Time

I use both crutch and a gin pole. The crutch is extendable so then when down it holds the masthead just above the pushpit where I lash it for trailering. When up it holds the mast at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal, high enough to not lay on the hatch while the bolt on the bottom of the mast is removed. The top of the crutch has a roller on it to make it easier to slide the mast forward for storage.
I use my whisker pole for a gin pole and run it from a fitting near the bottom of the mast to a loop tied in a hoist line. The hoist line is tied between the pulpit and the jib halyard. I then use the halyard and the halyard winch on the mast to raise and lower. That way I can steer it side to side as it goes down to the crutch.
I can easily do the job singlehanded. The most common problem is getting the stays caught in the snaps for the pop top enclosure so another person to watch for that helps.

Greg Baker

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Stepping advice - gin pole vs. cruch from cabin?