Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / In need of a paint job

Author In need of a paint job
Scott Dunsworth
Chrisney IN

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/26/2008 6:22 PM Pacific Time

I have just bought a 1976 Catalina 22 swing keel. She seem in to be in ok shape other than a few things. The gel coat on the top side has weather cracks here and there and the cockpit sole is very bad with them. All of these a believe to be in the gel coat and not the fiber glass. Also the front deck on the port side next to the hatch is very springy.
I plan on sanding the gel coat smooth and filling the cracks with silca thicken epoxy. Sanding again then adding epoxy primer before painting with Epifanes two part coatings.
Does anyone thats been down this road have any other ideas to add or suggest to my plans?
Built a few wood epoxy boats but this is the first dealing with a fiberglass boat.

Scott
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
08/26/2008 7:52 PM Pacific Time

THIS OLD BOAT is the classic book. Your library may have it (and if not, can get it). Chip Ford's website has his narrative on a similar suchlike project. Plenty to find right here, too; check the old message strings for stuff that sounds like you're running into.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
08/27/2008 6:22 PM Pacific Time

Scott, Steve's comment is great.

IMHO, using a 2 part coating is overkill for the top sides. I have had very good results using interlux coatings for what you have described as your problems.

I would suggest that you should scrape the spider carcks to make certain they are clean. I use a scraper that is basically triangular in shape. Two sides are flat and one is concave. I have also had good results filling the cracks with Marine Tex above the water line. It cures quicksly and sands easily.

Your deck at the hatch is a horse of a much different color. It sounds like you have gotten some moisture in the core. This is best attacked from inside the cabin. it is a messy job to say the least. Not knowing how large the area is makes it difficult to tell you how to proceed. I just helped a friend who had an area on his C&C about 2 ft sq.We drilled 1/2" holes about 3" apart unitl we had dry balsa. Then we drilled with a smaller drill at an angle to "Rout" out the wet wood.. After letting the area dry for several days we mixed west system epoxy with micro ballons and packed it into the voids. The cabin top is as solid at the repair as anywhere else. I would suggest that you use the slowest curing formula to cut down on the waste. Because we had a head liner the finish inside was not a big deal. For our boats I have made interior repairs and used crinkled up heavy duty aluminum foil to "match" the pattern in the lining. It's kind of like faux finish on house walls.

Hope this helps

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / In need of a paint job