Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Soft Bottom

Author Soft Bottom
Steven Ingle
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/05/2008 12:41 PM Pacific Time

I have a question for anyone out there. I am looking to purchase a Cat 22, and find one that has been sitting in a boat yard for about 11 years. I have no problem putting in the time and money. Only a few minor things are missing, (rudder, sails) but I did see what could be a problem. On the port side where the stands are set. It looks to be dis-formed about 1/2 inch (pushed up). I could not see any cracks in the area. The person that showed me the boat said it would just move but in to shape, it was due to the stand be in the same postion for so long. Could anyone tell me if this is a problem or is he right about just from sitting for so long? Thank for the help.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
12/05/2008 1:40 PM Pacific Time

There is a plywood core in that area and that would make me suspect that the core is wet and/or rotted. I restored some of this area in our boat and I don't recommend it to anyone. Most of it is nearly impossible to get to. I don’t believe a sound hull will show deformation in this area as long as the trailer bunks are at all reasonably fitted. There are lots of good Catalinas out there cheap. You will find plenty of work to do on a good clean one. Another area to make sure of is the cored deck; very common to find one with a rotted out core which feels mushy under foot. A good deck nearly rings when walked on.

Joe
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
12/06/2008 8:37 AM Pacific Time

It is possible for it to go back to something that is close to the original shape over time if the area is all fiberglass. The bow section of Tidley Idly was resting on a log about 2 feet from the keel for an unknown length of time when I found it and had was significantly deformed to the shape of the log in that area. Once it was properly cradled, it only took one hot summer for it to regain its former shape.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
12/06/2008 10:11 AM Pacific Time

You can see where the plywood is inside the boat on the starboard side under the lockers and under the winch area. Look for a step in the fiberglass.

Joe
Steven Ingle
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/07/2008 9:41 AM Pacific Time

Thanks to all. I think I will keep looking. Should anyone know of a Cat 22 in the Philly, or Baltimore area, please let me know. Thanks again, this is a great site!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Soft Bottom