Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Water Line

Author Water Line
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
04/27/2009 8:25 AM Pacific Time

I'm getting the boat ready for the water. I notice that my water line is not even. One side is lower than the other. The waterline is acturally just a bit above the bottom paint about mid hull. My question is, where is there a point in/on the boat that should be level?? My sense is that it is probably in the seat area in the cabin. I have a laser transit available to me, but it is of no use if the boat is not level.

Anyone have a thought?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
04/28/2009 4:56 AM Pacific Time

Hey RC,

My boat is a 1970 and I found the waterline by a slight etching along the hull. It was pretty obvious once I started looking. I don't know anything about how they did the newer models but I suspect that there should be something permanent marking that line for future maintenance and bottom coating.

Greg
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
04/28/2009 3:29 PM Pacific Time

It is probably worth noting that with the outboard mounted on the port side of the stern, and the battery being just to port of the centerline (just aft of the swing keel winch) the port side of the stern will prbably sit lower in the water than any other part of the boat. It would seem that the waterline of the Catalina 22 was designed without consideration for the weight of the outboard. In the case of my boat ('79), this problem is complicated because the port side cockpit locker was redesigned, enclosed from the rest of the boat, though very well ventilated, and is used as the "home" for the fuel tank, with a hole in the transom for the fuel line to go from the locker to the outboard. This is why the waterline on the port side of my boat is a bit different from the starboard side. Ron Peak

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Water Line