Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / leak around keel bolt.

Author leak around keel bolt.
t reynolds
escanaba mi

Boat Name: impulse

Model/Year: 1982 c 22

Hull No. 10619

Hailing Port: escanaba mi
09/18/2009 6:05 PM Pacific Time

Last year I had the keel dropped out of my boat and a new hanger assembly installed at a local boat yard. The boat now takes on water around the location of the tension bolt fixture, when the boat is on a port tack. The boat does not leak at the dock, only when the water in the trunk pushes up to the threaded bolt area of the trunk. The boat never leaked before I had the hanger changed.. Did the boat yard Jam the keel and damage the trunk in way of the tension bolt fixture, while reinstalling the keel?
Terry Reynolds
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/19/2009 6:34 AM Pacific Time

Terry,

Check the keel "tensioner" as you call it by removing it completely to see if the threads have been damaged. If it is intact, then coat the threads with some heavy waterproof grease and re-install the bolt. This should stop the leakage if there is no damage to the fiberglass around the bolt.

Greg
t reynolds
escanaba mi

Hull No. 10619

09/19/2009 8:27 AM Pacific Time

HI Greg;
yeah we put silicone on the threads of the lock down bolt and silicone caulk on the surface surrounding the bolt, and the water migrates thru the silicone caulk. so I am thinking I have a crack fracture in the area of the bolt.
Thanks for your observations.
Terry
t reynolds
escanaba mi

Hull No. 10619

06/24/2010 6:30 PM Pacific Time

this spring, I jacked the hull away from the keel and used a sponge on a stick to swab west epoxy on the surfaces of the center board trunk,, especially in way of the lock down bolt. I then took a syringe and squirted west slow set epoxy into the breaks in the woven roven cloth that holds the lockdown bolt , in the interior of the locker,, there were many gaps in the woven roven matt and I used a up a whole syringe of epoxy around the lock down bolt.. I then kept working the bolt to keep the threads free, as the epoxy cured.

NO MORE LEAK! The boat is completely dry again. some how the centerboard trunk in way of the lock down bolt fractured and was allowing water into the hull. The epoxy found these fractures and sealed them,.

Thanks to all for your suggestions

Terry
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/25/2010 7:28 PM Pacific Time

thanks for the report back. from what it sounds like your problem was about the same as my friends. with a flashlight he noticed lots of fractures along with some annoying leaking. he reinforced the area like you did and no more leaking. my humble opinion is the lock down bolt agains a 550 lb. keel is useless and a false since of security.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/27/2010 6:45 PM Pacific Time

T. Reynolds: come join us during the Great Lakes Cruise August 1-7. We will be sailing pretty close - Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Charlevoix. so far we have 8 registrations and two pending. would love to have you join us and you could be the closest to our cruising grounds!

Mike Bracket
C22 NSA Cruising Captain

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / leak around keel bolt.