Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Guide Poles

Author Guide Poles
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
09/06/2011 10:42 AM Pacific Time

The old, rusted through guide poles on the trailer finally gave out. I just received two new square galvanized 'L' tubes. They are open at both ends. In an effort to preserve them as long as possible, should I leave them as is and drill a small drain hole under each elbow OR seal the ends so water can't get into the tubes? Thanks for your ideas, BilgeBoy
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
09/06/2011 8:35 PM Pacific Time

If they are galvanized inside and outside, they should not rust, right. How would you go about sealing it? welding a sq piece to the end? I had some guides made from 1.5" sq tubing. The horizontal piece was welded into the side of the vertical piece (not the vertical piece sitting on the horiz piece). Welding it this way means the vertical piece is completely open on both ends to drain.
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
07/11/2012 8:56 PM Pacific Time

The poles I received are one piece and bent at the elbow - just like the previous set. Water & dirt would collect in the indentation on top of the bend as well as inside. Since the poles leaned out slightly, not all the water drained. So I filled the top indentation with epoxy and drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the elbow. So far so so good. The proof will be in a few years.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Guide Poles