Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Sailing our Catilina 22 with the keel fully deployed or partially down.

Author Sailing our Catilina 22 with the keel fully deployed or partially down.
Hager Betsey & Patrick
WI

Boat Name: Salty Dawg

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No. 13707

Hailing Port: Lake DuBay
10/12/2012 9:19 AM Pacific Time

We just purchased our 22 and have had her out 15 times in the last 2 months. We have always lowered the swing keel totally but after learning about her performance and knowing that while running one does not have to have the keel down at all, maybe sailing in light winds, 1/3 is sufficient ...comments please
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
10/13/2012 5:17 AM Pacific Time

I sail mine 80% of the time with the keel up all the way. However it should be noted that I sail in West Galveston Bay where the max water depth is around 8 feet and the weather is very predictable. I routinely sail in water depths of 3 to 4 feet. The draft with the keel up is approximately 2 feet and some of that is part of the keel.

You do have to be careful in winds above 15 mph. And of course there is some slippage but unless you are racing on in very tight quarters it is manageable.

If I sailed in a larger body of water with greater depths (i.e. larger wave potential) I would lower the keel all of the way as a mater of course.

Bottom line the C22 sails just fine with the keel up in light winds and waves under 2 feet.

Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/14/2012 5:40 AM Pacific Time

How do you handle the rudder Reggie? My rudder draws almost as much water as the keel.
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

10/15/2012 4:59 AM Pacific Time

My rudder seems to draw about 12" more than the boat with the keel up. I have an older style kick-up rudder controled by lines and jam cleats. So if it is too shallow the rudder comes up somewhat.

Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

10/15/2012 5:02 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to add that the bottom in Galveston Bay is sand, so when I do hit it is no big deal. I it was rocks I most probably would have been sunk a long time ago.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Sailing our Catilina 22 with the keel fully deployed or partially down.