Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Mast wiring

Author Mast wiring
Bill Shaw
Eugene, OR

Boat Name: Husky Tiger III

Model/Year: Catalina 27 / 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/29/2013 8:16 PM Pacific Time

In the process examining my mast step area with an eye toward adding a plate to attach blocks to, I discovered that one of the four wires leading to the connector for the mast is broken. As far as I can tell, my only option is to drill through the deck and run a new 4-conductor cable back to the panel. While researching this I discovered that it is unlikely I will find the connector that will mate up with the one on the mast harness, which suggests replacing the wiring in the mast as well. What I have found is that the mast wiring harness offered by Catalina direct consist of 14 gauge conductors, while the 4-conductor cable they offer is 16 gauge. My knowledge of electricity is limited, but I'm pretty sure you should never have a larger gauge wire downstream of a smaller gauge. Thus far, my internet searches have yet to turn up a 14/4 cable. I have found 14/5 (Ancor), but not 14/4.

What am I missing?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/30/2013 5:13 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

With the minimal load on the mast harness which will mainly be lights, it doesn't matter if you use the 14 gauge wire. The larger the wire the less resistance which lowers the power consumption thereby extending your battery life. It would make a difference if you were pushing the capacity of the wire to handle a load but the problem would not be "downstream" on the larger wire but on the smaller wire that fed it. You can use the Catalina Direct harness without causing you any problems at all.

Good luck.

Greg
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

07/30/2013 5:15 AM Pacific Time

Hi again Bill,

I forgot to mention that in electricalwiring, the smaller the number, the larger the wire. Therefore the 14 gauge wire is larger than the 16 gauge wire.

gg
Bill Shaw
Eugene, OR

Boat Name: Husky Tiger III

Model/Year: Catalina 27 / 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/01/2013 9:56 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think you've confirmed my concern, that I wouldn't want to fee the 14 ga mast harness with 16 ga cable, yet that is all I can find (at least w/ 4 conductors). The solution, I guess, would be to use four single conductors. Or, make my own mast harness with 16 ga wire.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
08/02/2013 5:39 AM Pacific Time

You could change the fuse fir the mast head light, steaming light and deck light to a 10 amp fuse. This way the 16 guage wires will be protected for short circuit. 10 amps is large enough for the amperage drawn by the three dedicated circuits. You can feel comfortable using the 4 conductor AWG 16 cable in the mast.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

08/03/2013 6:33 AM Pacific Time

I agree with David Bill,

This is really a non-issue considering that the load is only lights. If you were running an electric winch or motor of some kind this could potentially be an issue but all you are talking about is a couple of light bulbs. Small light bulbs at that.

I think that the reason that the reason the manufacturers changed the harnesses from 16 to 14 gauge is to reduce resistance thereby reducing amperage draw thereby extending battery life.

You really don't have a problem. You can go through an awful lot of work and expense and the end result will be the same. Putting in a smaller fuse would be a good safety measure.

Greg
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
08/04/2013 3:57 PM Pacific Time

Go with the 5 conductor wire. You'll have a spare line if one breaks or you want to add another accssory.

Austin Cooley
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
11/11/2013 9:35 PM Pacific Time

Hi, I'm sorry that I have to ask this under Mast Wiring but somewhere along the line, I've been excluded from the Daily Forum and now that I have another Catalina 22, I would like to be included in it. Can someone please help me?

Thanks so much!

Linda

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Mast wiring