Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailering with motor mounted

Author Trailering with motor mounted
Philip
PA

Boat Name: Kinetta

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: PA
04/24/2014 6:21 PM Pacific Time

I have a 9.8hp outboard weighing about 90lb on my C22 and tow it about 2 hours to the lake. Is it OK to tow with the motor mounted to the motor mount on the stern?
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
04/25/2014 8:32 AM Pacific Time

I wouldn't recommend it. Every time you hit a bump or something else causes the trailer to bounce, you've got the entire weight of that motor (which is standing off the transom by several inches, think of the lever principle here) putting tremendous stress on your transom. Over time, it can weaken and fail. In addition, the risk of the motor disengaging from your mount is just not worth it. I recommend either having a carrier plate welded to your trailer for the purpose, storing the motor in your tow vehicle (on its side, tiller side down), or storing the motor in the boat itself. ANYTHING but leaving it mounted on the boat! I hope this helps!

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Trailering with motor mounted