Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bomar hatch lens replacement

Author Bomar hatch lens replacement
Greg Roach
Halifax

Boat Name: Silver Sea

Model/Year: 1993

Hull No. 6207

Hailing Port: Barrachois (Tatamagoughe) NS, Can.
05/09/2018 9:14 AM Pacific Time

The lens in the 12 3/8 X 12 3/8 Bomar hatch that is in the main cabin of my 1993 Catalina 30 needs to be replaced. The hatch lens and silicone sealant is available through Catalina Direct. My plan was to remove the hatch lid and do the lens replacement on a work bench. I was having trouble getting the lens cover off and didn't want to break anything so I checked on line to try to find instructions or a youtube video, specifically one that showed how to get the hinge pin out so that I could remove the lens cover without taking out the frozen mounting screws. I couldn't find anything that showed my Bomar hatch, specifically information on the removal of the hinge pin, so I reached out to Bomar. They quickly responded with a direction sheet (below) and information on removing the hinge pin (simply tap it out using a hammer and punch of some sort). The process is very strait forward so I plan to follow their advice and replace the lens without removing the hatch cover from the boat. Hope this may help others.

INSTALLING REPLACEMENT LENSES IN BOMAR HATCHES

TOOLS: replacement lens
tube of silicone (GE Ultra Glaze) (note: CD sells Dow Corning 795)
old spoon
old butter knife or hanger
masking tape
blunt tool

1. Cut away old silicone and remove old lens.
2. Place a two inch strip of masking tape around the top/outside of hatch lid in order to make the removal of excess silicone less difficult.
3. If you have a cast hatch disregard this step. If you have an extruded hatch and wish to replace your gasket, do so now, making sure to place lip of the gasket on top of the flange (the underside of the lens will sit on this portion of the gasket).
4. Peel off the paper on the underside of the lens.
5. Place a moderate bead of silicone on the flange and any crossbars where the lens will set.
6. Float the lens into the silicone bead. (If your replacement lens has holes in it for your latch dogs, place the holes away from the hinge. Allow a 1/8” space between the front edge of lens and the frame so your handles will be properly aligned. If your replacement lens does not have holes in it simply center the lens in the silicone.)
7. After the lens is floated, apply a generous bead of silicone in the gap between the edge of the lens and the frame.
8. Using the back side of an old spoon, place the tip in the silicone at 45 degrees and trowel off any excess silicone.
9. Check for air bubbles (swelling in the silicone). To remove air bubbles; drag an old butter knife through the swollen area three inches before and after the swollen area. Apply a new bead of silicone to the disturbed area and trowel off excess silicone with your spoon.
10. Allow the hatch to sit for two days.
11. Peel off the masking tape and lens paper carefully use a blunt tool to remove any silicone, being careful not to scratch the lens or the hatch frame.
12. The silicone will be totally cured in 7 days.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bomar hatch lens replacement