Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Sagging decks

Author Sagging decks
Austin
TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/31/2004 3:53 PM Pacific Time

I've got a '74 and the port bow area just to the left of the hatch is really weak. I think the wood has rotten out in there, but I don't wanna cut it all out and check. Could it be fixed by just building a strong fiberglass support, like a shelf or something for the deck to rest on?
Thanks in advance for all of your advice.
Michael Barnes
Newtown Square, PA 19073

Boat Name: Gaper Delay

Model/Year: 74 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH37550774

Hailing Port: Philadelphia
09/07/2004 5:12 PM Pacific Time

I have the very same problem see my postings:

Under Hull/Keel"

Forward Hatch Area - No Step ! by Michael Barnes

under CABIN:

Mainmast Support Stanchion Removal ?
Michael Barnes 09/07/2004 4:59 PM
Jerry
Gabel

Boat Name: Int'rim

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. 4711

Hailing Port: Lake Nockamixon, PA
10/11/2006 1:52 PM Pacific Time

My Catalina 22, 1975 - hull # 4711 has gradually been infected with 'soft deck'. Actually, the problem is spreading to the cabin and pop-top as well, since water has slowly but surely been getting in over 30 some years.

I've heard of the repair method involving cutting out the inner liner, cleaning, replacing the rotted wood with new plywood, and then closing up the 'wounds'. I feel there's got to be an easier way.

My idea would be this:

1) drill an array of 1/4 inch holes in the inner liner, being careful not to damage the outer (deck).

2) inject a structural foam material to expandand fill the cavity between the outer and inner surfaces.

A) Beginning with the hole nearest the bow, inject a foaming material. This material would then fill the cavity between the deck outer and inner surfaces, expanding 'aftward', with excess material 'oozing' from 'aftward' holes as the process continued.

B) Once the expansion of that foam ceases (ooze has stopped), inject more foam material in the 'foremost' holes which didn't ooze excess material. Continue the process until all hollows have been filled.

3) Trim, clean, and patch / cap all drilled holes.

My question: is anyone else doing 'soft deck' repair this way, and if so, please send details, including:

a) size / distance between / pattern of the drilled holes.

b) strong (structural) foam material used, where I can obtain it, and how to use it.

I realize this might be a tall order, but I'm asking you guys, as the 'experts', to help if you can.
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
10/12/2006 7:13 AM Pacific Time

I have not heard of using foam. People do use this method with epoxy. I think the general feeling is it is not that good a fix unless you have a small area. Personally I find working inside the boat a total nightmare. On my 1974 boat I had the entire starboard fordeck become very soft. After much consideration I decided to tackle it from above. I cut the whole top deck piece off in one piece. Going about 2 inches back from where I had good wood. The cut was easy, the deck peeled right up. I scraped out all the rotted wood. I had the deck piece as a template for the new plywood. I next spread epoxy on the top of the inner linner put the plywood down with some weights on top. Let it cure. Then took more epoxy coated the plywood and put the deck back on,( more weights on top) when that cured I fiberglassed the seams where the deck had been cut. At some point I will paint the whole deck but for the moment I just put some white paint over areas I cut. The deck is now nice and strong, It was not as big a job as I thought, take your time with it make sure you have a nice place to work - dry, warm with electricity.

Good luck
Tom
Renton, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1971

Hull No. #880

Hailing Port: Coulon Park boat launch
01/15/2010 1:32 PM Pacific Time

My deck wasn't sagging completely but I did have an annoying soft spot and wet core. Here is my fix for it.
http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/delphinus/deck.html

Tom
Brett Nicholai Vaughan
Jacksonville, FL

Boat Name: Feral Kitten

Model/Year: Coronado 15 / 1979?

Hull No. 3211

Hailing Port: NAS Jacksonville
08/17/2020 12:11 PM Pacific Time

Restoring my C-15 and found the wood block under the mast step darn near rotted away. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to repair and or replace this item? I've been trying to find directions on line with no love. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Brett Nicholai Vaughan
Jacksonville, FL

Boat Name: Feral Kitten

Model/Year: Coronado 15 / 1979?

Hull No. 3211

Hailing Port: NAS Jacksonville
08/17/2020 12:11 PM Pacific Time

Restoring my C-15 and found the wood block under the mast step darn near rotted away. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to repair and or replace this item? I've been trying to find directions on line with no love. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Sagging decks