Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Racing Sails

Author Racing Sails
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Boat Name: LeeWay

Model/Year: C22 1976

Hull No. 6029

Hailing Port: Perry Yacht Club
08/11/2004 2:09 PM Pacific Time

For mainly club racing (and perhaps some regional or national races) which sails are the best? North and Ullman make some good but very expensive sails. Are the sails from Catalina Direct perfectly fine for racing, or should I plan to shell out over $3000 (gulp) for a new of suit of custom North or Ullman (main, genoa & spinnaker) sails?

I have also heard of Gus and Bartlett sails but I have no information on cost of a suit. I understand that many sailors at Nationals used these sails.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
08/12/2004 5:55 AM Pacific Time

Here is what some of the expert winning racers have to say, http://www.main.org/catalina22/C22%20sails.htm

With that said if you watch sails being torn up in Round the World Races, you would note that Ullman/CD sails do not tear up & win those long haul races.

I watched a story about a hotdog vender that went in business selling hotdogs for a nickel when the competition was selling for a dime. No one would by his hotdogs until he gave doctors free hotdogs if they were wearing their white coats. He is famous on Coney Island still today. The point is cheaper is not worst.

The point is the “factory CD” sails are one hell of a sail. I bought a full batten open foot main last month. This sail points higher, shapes from a B-52 shape to a stealth flat shape in seconds. I am sure one gets something for that extra 6 to 800 dollars, maybe just debt.

I have won 2 club races in a roll, not because of the sails but because of the fewest number of mistakes in the races. I am sure Pete Harper could beat me with a bed sheet for a sail. If I had two thousand dollar sails I might have more false confidence, with the 618 sail I know it is up to me. Reality is a good place to start a race.

Wish me luck at the C-22 “TX State Championship Race” this weekend, my first C-22 only event.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/12/2004 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Good luck, Bob, let us know how the fully battened sail fairs against the C22 big boys like Pete, and Gene and others that will be at the Regatta, for a bench mark ,as opposed to the club racers at your club. I don't remember seeing any fully battened sails at any regatta before I took this two year hiatis from sailing. Hope you do well, Al Ge
Branin Thorn
Florence, SC

Boat Name: AARRGH

Model/Year: 2007

Hull No. 15676

Hailing Port: New Bern
05/21/2007 11:49 AM Pacific Time

I am purchasing a c22 but have opted for the roller furling. Is it possible to have a racing headsail on a roller fuling rig? I know it is not optimal but just a thought.

Anyone have any experience? Any information would be helpful.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
05/25/2007 5:14 AM Pacific Time

I suppose you can but you won't win. This is a compromise that is not worth making. If you want to win you must go with high quality hank on sails. Roller furling headsails are cut with a higher clew to allow them to roll up. This cut decreases sail area significantly. Sails are the motor, don't cut back on horse power out of convienence and then try to race. In addition, there is a question of class rules which do not allow head stay foils which roller furlers have. If you are out in a c22 one design fleet with a roller furler I doubt anyone is going to protest you, but they might be able to. Might want to run it by Davied Hayslip, the national measurer.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/27/2007 10:46 PM Pacific Time

Handicapped ratings are based on class rules unless excepted in the Notice of Race. For example, some handicap races do not require you to have an anchor or motor on board. You can ask the RC of a handicapped race to review and adjust your rating if you want to use furled sails, a motor or no anchor. This allows for fairer racing when handicap racing against a Santana 20 or Capri 22 or Lido 14. C22 class rules do not allow the type of luff used on standard furled sails. If racing in a one design C22 fleet you would be subject to protest for violation of the one design racing rules for C22's. I know people who race C22's that ask to be raced in the handicapped fleet instead of one design C22 fleet because they say they can't afford multiple sails and motors to do both cruising and racing. P.S. I have bought sails from Sail Warehouse in Monterey, CA and found them to be excellent.
Phil D
Collegeville, Pa

Boat Name: Sea Fox

Model/Year: C22 1984

Hull No. 1253

Hailing Port: Fox Grove
01/11/2021 7:22 AM Pacific Time

I wonder if someone can recommend a trimming guide for Capri 22 tall rig for Doyle Sails
Marcela Mz Recaman
Bogota

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 2014

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/11/2021 7:22 AM Pacific Time

I wonder if someone can recommend a trimming guide for Capri 22 tall rig for Doyle Sails

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Racing Sails