Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Dimpled Hull at Bunk?

Author Dimpled Hull at Bunk?
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
08/15/2004 2:20 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

My C22, 1974 model, is on a trailer most of its time. The port bunk is creating, or rather, the weight of the boat is creating a 'dimple' on the port bunk.

That is, the hull is deflecting in about an inch or so...no crease, just a nice soft deflection.....been about 8mos since it was off trailer.

Normal? Worry? Panic?

THX

Garrett
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/16/2004 12:19 PM Pacific Time

Not to worry much, but it would seem a simple thing to ease the bunk, I assume a the rear, to spread the load and not have the end of the bunk pushing in so hard.
Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/16/2004 4:47 PM Pacific Time

Garrett:

I had the same hull depression, at the rear of the port bunk, when I purchased my 1973 C-22. The depression is called coining. My boat had been sitting on its trailer for more than a decade. The final phase of my C-22 restoration project included a trip to the boatyard for bottom paint. Once my C-22 was off the trailer, and in hot 90 degree weather, the depression popped out. I have since replaced the rotted trailer bunks, and adjusted them to prevent depressing the hull again.

STAY STOKED
JOE BRUINING
C-22 #3109
“Wingman”
Portland, Or
T a Brunemeyer
Beachwood NJ

Boat Name: Faith

Model/Year: c-22

Hull No. 1972

Hailing Port:
10/22/2004 9:51 AM Pacific Time

I've got a similar problem with my 1972 it's dimpled about two or three feet abaft the bow on the starboard side just above thje water line, it's quite noticable and worrysome becaue I cant tell why its dimpled to begin with. I'm contemplating getting inside and simpley pushing at it with my feet if it works fine if not I dont know what to do I guess I could cut away the forwrdstarboard shelf/bunk and see if this frees up enough of the hull so that i can move it backout and then fillet in some new glass to reconnect the bunk butthis all sounds very drastic so I think I'll just wait and see if getting her in the water and off the trailer cures the problem
Joshua Kaplan
Passaic, NJ

Boat Name: YamamaY

Model/Year: Catalina 22 '72

Hull No. 769

Hailing Port: none yet
10/09/2011 4:56 AM Pacific Time

I have a C22 on a trailer, as well. I just noticed that there is a depression (besides my own) where the rear bunk meets the hull on the starboard side. Worse, when I looked insode the boat, I saw a crack (not visible from outside) which is several feet long in the bilge.

Can this boat be rescued for less than a lot of money ?
david m callahan
albertville

Boat Name: Adagio

Model/Year: 34/1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Guntersville, AL
10/09/2011 4:56 AM Pacific Time

I have a C22 on a trailer, as well. I just noticed that there is a depression (besides my own) where the rear bunk meets the hull on the starboard side. Worse, when I looked insode the boat, I saw a crack (not visible from outside) which is several feet long in the bilge.

Can this boat be rescued for less than a lot of money ?
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
10/16/2011 9:07 AM Pacific Time

need some more info on the crack. there are two areas of reinforcement inside the hull along the centerboard trunk. You can tell where they are because there is a slight 'hump' in the otherwise relatively smooth hull, inside in the bilge area. they run fore/aft about 4 feet I think and they are about 12-14 inches wide. It is 1/4 inch plywood glassed into the hull to add stiffness. Is the crack along one of these areas?

Mike
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
10/16/2011 11:16 PM Pacific Time

Hi:
Well, my boat came with a trailer w/rollers like you usually see with motor boats. I like bunks which I've always had on my other sailboats. It sat for 2 yrs, winter and summer on those rollers and I worried myself sick about whether or not there would be depressions...They didn't happen but I still think that bunks are better than rollers when it comes to coining problems. Just my 2 cents.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/18/2011 10:33 PM Pacific Time

I think I read on here somewhere that the early model C22's had the plywood fiberglass reinforcement and therefore a 3 - 4 foot bump can sometimes be visible from the interior, and exterior depending on the storage, history and care of the boat. Boats that were exposed to interior water or interior/exterior snow/ice put extra stress on the trailer stress points and can cause indentations from the trailer bunks, pads or rollers. I'm not sure what year this plywood was no longer placed. A fixed keel boat or winged keel boat should be stored on a trailer with pads or rollers as most of the boats weight is designed to be stored on the keel and the pads and rollers should not be bearing the majority of the weight but steading the boat. Also the pads or rollers allow a fixed keel boat to roll or float off after the keel clears it's pad. The swing keels do best on a long bunk type trailer as the weight of the boat is distributed with just a small portion of the keel weight on the trailer. Depending on the severity of the dimpleing and the longevity of the dimpleing will determine if it is permanent or can be worked out with heat and pressure relief. I've seen C22's with short term dimpeling that were put in slings in hot weather and the dimples reversed themself. I've also seen C22's with severe long term dimpeling that stayed that way and needed to be scraped. If you're not racing, I guess the amount of time and severity of the dimpleing and how much effort/money to fix it would take you, would affect your decision on buying or keeping such a boat.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/18/2011 10:48 PM Pacific Time

P.S. I forgot to add. The interior crack can be repaired with a fiberglass kit at a reasonable cost if you do it yourself. There a lots of sources for how to fiberglass on the internet. Paying someone else to do it can run around $100.00+- per hour plus material (marked up). Stress cracks to the gelcoat or paint can also be fixed by kits that are available on the internet or your local chandlery or Catalina Direct. It is common for the C22 to get gelcoat cracks in stressed areas such as where the material makes hard right angles. (cabin house, cockpit seats and floor, rubrails, ect.) Since the fiberglass supports the gelcoat covering, you want to make sure there is sufficient fiberglass to keep a gelcoat repair from cracking again if you do a repair. Some gelcoat repairs that don't involve fiberglass flaws are chalked up to "cosmetic repairs".
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/19/2011 8:49 AM Pacific Time

Not all earlier Catalina 22s have the plywood reinforcement running along each side of the center line (which is about 8 feet). I have a 1974 and 1976 which have the plywood, but I was given a 1974 salvaged hull (#4623) which I cut up to see how it was made. It had fiberglass as reinforcement along the center line and no plywood.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Dimpled Hull at Bunk?