Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Compression Tube

Author Mast Compression Tube
sailing_surfer
honolulu

Boat Name: que pasa

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/12/2004 2:34 PM Pacific Time

When attempting to remove the spreader bracket bolt it seems that my mast compression tube is preventing me from removing the bolt itself. The bolt will spin, but fails to move in or out. Does the original compression tube have threading that could have corroded? Also, can the compression tube be replaced with any stainless tube with similar dimensions. Thanks.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/13/2004 6:57 AM Pacific Time

I had a problem. with the bolt as well. For some unknown reason, the PO had pored epoxy into each bracket around the head of the bolt and the nut. Then he inserted the spreader tubes. I had to cut the whole mess off with a hacksaw.

It sounds like the bolt and the tube have corrosion that has bonded them together. The stock tube is not threaded. It might be possible to turn the mast on its side, with the bolt head down and the spreader bracket on a piece of wood. Use a steel punch the size of the bolt to try to break the bolt free of the tube. The spreader bracket should keep the side of the mast from being damaged from the tube pressing on the inside, as you strike the bolt. When the bolt breaks free, insert a screw driver into the hole as you remove the bolt. That way you can keep the compression tube in place for installing the new brackets.
sailing_surfer
honolulu

Boat Name: que pasa

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/15/2004 2:46 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the advice. I eventually got it free, but it was a lot of work. There is a slight bulge on the side of the mast from the compression tube, despite the vice I had used to prevent that possibility. Hopefully, it will not affect the integrity of the aluminum.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Compression Tube