Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bimini Top

Author Bimini Top
billy
Illinois

Boat Name: address unknown

Model/Year: 87 c22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Shelbyville
11/09/2004 2:39 PM Pacific Time

Question: Can you sail with a bimini top up on cal 22? Mine doesn't have one yet but would like one...i think.
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
11/09/2004 6:00 PM Pacific Time

I have a bimini on my C22....it covers most of the companion way, and almost to the tiller...it is for the passengers, not the skipper....it does not extend too far aft to interfere w/mainsheet.....

Donald & Lynn Conner
Severn, MD

Boat Name: Meniscus

Model/Year: C-22, 1979

Hull No. 9157

Hailing Port: Middle River, MD
11/10/2004 1:27 AM Pacific Time

Yes, depending on how you have it set up. We sailed with our bimini up on Meniscus many times last summer. The only pain was getting forward to deal with the sails, especially if it had to be done in a right hurry. But that could be allieviated (or at least mitigated) depending on the type of bimini used and how it is set up (ease of release, how far forward it goes, etc).
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
11/10/2004 4:54 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
During the hot summer months and during rain storms a bimini is very nice to have but it does make activities on a C22 more difficult. We only use ours when we are motoring, running, or reaching because it makes viewing main sail trim very difficult and that is when you get hot anyway. As previous people have said it makes going forward difficult and the monitoring of sail trim when beating very difficult. We purchased the top of the line one from Catalina Direct and have been happy with it. In the cooler months we don't take it with us. Whenever we are beating to weather we just fold it forward on the cabin top and put two fenders under it on the sides so that is does not obstruct the sliding of the cabin hatch. If we don't want to use it at anchor but do want to raise the pop top then we just tie the folded bimimi to the boom. When trailering the boat the folded bimini fits up side down in the cabin.
Philip & Sharon
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
11/10/2004 11:54 AM Pacific Time

I agree with Philip and Sharron the only difference being that I leave it on when towing but you must put it into a cover so that wind does not tear it up , I also bungee it up to mast so that it does not wear on cabin top , you can get new , liquidated covers at Marine Connection for about $20. Anywhere aft of a broad reach on a hot day they are essential in Florida

David and Kathy
Martin Henry
Moore, Oklahoma

Boat Name: Madness

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14953

Hailing Port: Lake Thunderbird
11/10/2004 4:42 PM Pacific Time

Here in Oklahoma during the summer a bimini is a must. We sail with it up all the time. A lot of time we'll sail with just the genoa have cocktails and cruise to the music.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
01/03/2005 5:15 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone tell me what are the correct measurements for a C-22 Bimini? I am thinking about mounting it on the top of the coaming in front of the winches. Is this correct? I think the correct dimensions are 6' long by 78" wide by 42" tall. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Geoff
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
01/03/2005 6:40 PM Pacific Time

If you go to 85" wide you can mount it on the outside tracks, mine is 42"H X72"LX 85"W I tig welded the brackets on an set of old cars, when the bimini top is off so are the brackets
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Hull No. 14949

01/06/2005 3:52 PM Pacific Time

Does having it on the outside interfere with your ability to go forward? Do you have any pictures of the setup?

Thanks,
Geoff
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
01/07/2005 6:37 AM Pacific Time

Actually, outside makes it easier. Width is your friend, particularly near the cabin. Tequila Sunset has the orignal 1985 factory-offered bimini (since re-covered). The only thing we changed was the forward strap attach points. When we got her, the forward straps attached to padeyes mounted on the outside of the handrails. Since the top of the strap was outside the canvas on the forward frame bow, this made it very difficult to go forward. I couldn't imagine why anyone would attach it to the handrail. I moved the padeyes to the toerail on each side and am able to easily clamber my ample self through there with relative ease.

BTW, We only fold the bimini to trailer and only remove it for hurricanes (and not even then, for little ones :^).

Shade rules!
Fair winds,
Bob
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
01/07/2005 7:48 AM Pacific Time

No pictures sorry, there is little interference, I had another extra set of cars, that I removed the blocks from and run as far forward as I can, I use this point to attach the forward straps , tied a small line in a loop on the back cleats for the rear straps.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
01/07/2005 9:09 AM Pacific Time

Ken, Where did you find the bimini with those dimensions?
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Hull No. 14949

01/08/2005 8:35 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone tried to use support brackets on the aft end of the Bimini to stow it aft rather than forward on the cabin top?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
01/08/2005 10:43 AM Pacific Time

Geoff,
I know people who have done it, not necessarily on a 22, but on the 22, it would work if you modify your tiller to function at a higher tilted level when the Bimini is folded aft. Also, you may need to make sure that if it's mounted further aft, you get one long enough to cover the companion way, if that is what you desire.

Good thing about a Biminin on a 22 is that the boom is high enough to sail and access to mainsheet is fine, with the Bimini in upright position.

Larry
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
11/26/2005 1:44 PM Pacific Time

Bimini tops measurements.

I see the measurements for the bimini from CD are 36"x73"X6'. I want the hightest one possible and I have found three sizes from Cabela. 36", 46" & 54" high. Does anyone have a 54" high bimini? The 46"X73"x6' with Sunbrella material goes for $279.95. Great price with Aluminum/nylon fittings.
Mike McCourt
Cromberg, Ca.

Boat Name: Three Little Birds

Model/Year: C-22 1993

Hull No. 15297

Hailing Port: Lake Almanor, Ca.
07/18/2013 5:15 PM Pacific Time

At 6'4" would I comfortably fit under the Catalina Direct bimini top. I would really like the shade but wonder if it would have enough clearance. Any tall C-22 sailors with biminis like to comment?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/19/2013 11:11 PM Pacific Time

Never had a bimini on any of my six C22's but have sailed on other boats with them. Remember, the bimini height can not be higher than the bottom of the boom. Not sailing, you can slide the boom farther up the mast as opposed to when you are sailing. Of course this would be a lot of extra work to move the boom up to get a full 6'4" clearance when not sailing, and then move it back down when sailing. Width should be as wide as you can get it to make it easier to move forward or on and off the boat while at dock. I wasn't sure from your question if the clearance you are referring to is sitting or standing. As a side note, I'd like to sail on Lake Almanor and visited there one afternoon without a boat. It didn't look like there were many public places to launch a boat and then store a truck trailer for a few days to boat camp. Do you have any suggestions?
Peter Snyder
Ringgold, GA

Boat Name: Windabout

Model/Year: 1978 sk Catalina 22

Hull No. 8329

Hailing Port: Lake Chickamauga, TN
07/20/2013 6:48 AM Pacific Time

A friend gave me a four bow aluminum bimini frame that he was not using. I wanted to attach it to the outer jib sheet tracks, and found some old cars with a cleat on each one. Took off the cleats and mounted bimini hardware on the cars. Had to lengthen the port to starboard size of the frames, so I cut them amidships and bought some aluminum tubing of a diameter that just fit around the frames for splices. Pop riveted the splices in place. I found a white vinyl tarp, 6'x8', and tied it to the frame. I'm able to adjust it forward and aft with the old jib cars, and I have it set so that nearly the whole 6'x8' tarp is used for cover. We leave it up all the time on the Northern Gulf Coast Cruise, and put a commercially made zippered cover on it for road travel. It works great!
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/21/2013 5:20 AM Pacific Time

Geof, I put braces on the back side of my bimini and leave it up all the time except when trailering. It is not in the way there and I have my boom set so that it clears it at all times. I installed the braces so that they are in the correct position to support the bimini while it is deployed. I sail with mine up under any conditions. You just have to sit a little further back to check trim and the wind vane. Here in southern Illinois it does get really hot without some shade so a bimini is really nice. My only complaint is that unless you go all the way aft or up on the bow there is no place to stand up outside the cabin.
Mike McCourt
Cromberg, Ca.

Hull No. 15297

07/26/2013 10:29 AM Pacific Time

Your question about sailing and boat camping on Lake Almanor is a good one. Plumas County has an ordinance against boat camping. One way around that is fishing all night, which is OK. The boat patrol is not out at night most of the time so it is possible to stay on your boat, There are several boat ramps for launching that are public and several private marinas. Look up Lake Almanor fishing for the best information. It is a great place to sail and the crowds are generally pretty light. Many windy days during the week we are the only boat in sight.
I am working with the tech person at CD for my best option for a bimini. I thought I could get some advice from some tall sailors who had some experience with putting a bimini on a Catalina 22. I would be sitting under the bimini and am looking for mounting and bimini size options as there are a few. Thanks.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/26/2013 11:48 PM Pacific Time

Good to know about the overnight regulation for boat camping. Maybe we will just bring the trucker and cabover camper. We have the same no overnight boat camping but night fishing from boats is allowed at Scotts Flat Lake. Except you need to rent a overnight campsite and have a papersticker in the window of your vehicle and trailer if it is there after 10:00 p.m. or you will get cited. The cheapest campsite is $25.00 per day. Good luck on your bimini top.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
07/27/2013 10:25 AM Pacific Time

I am six' three" and had a 42" high Bimini, coaming mounted. Six feet long. I could sit, sail, steer, all comfortably in the 22's cockpit.
Mike McCourt
Cromberg, Ca.

Hull No. 15297

05/28/2014 3:59 PM Pacific Time

I purchased the bimini top from Catalina Direct and installed it and am very happy with it. Very high quality. It has plenty of room for sailing while seated and the shade makes for much more comfortable sailing. Haven't had it in big winds yet but the shade is very nice.
Chip Cramer
Stuart, Florida

Boat Name: Chip Cramer

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Stuart
10/10/2019 6:26 AM Pacific Time

I just found a used Bimini that appears to be in the ballpark size wise. Can some one tell me roughly the beam dimension at approximately the center or slightly forward of center of the cockpit?
I can’t get to the boat until Sunday when I plan to install the Bimini and prepare for a two day offshore sail from Boca Raton to Stuart FL.
Thanks in advance.
Chip
Marc Core
Olympia, WA.

Boat Name: Take Five

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA.
10/10/2019 6:26 AM Pacific Time

I just found a used Bimini that appears to be in the ballpark size wise. Can some one tell me roughly the beam dimension at approximately the center or slightly forward of center of the cockpit?
I can’t get to the boat until Sunday when I plan to install the Bimini and prepare for a two day offshore sail from Boca Raton to Stuart FL.
Thanks in advance.
Chip

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bimini Top