Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Upgrading and relocating switch panel?

Author Upgrading and relocating switch panel?
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
05/27/2005 8:19 PM Pacific Time

After my first day out on my new C22 today I have found the electrical panel to be in a very poor location. Why would Catalina put it so close to the bilge, inviting corrosion and breakage? I have looked at the replacement from CD but to be honest I think I would like to simply relocate the entire panel to a higher, drier location. I am currently looking at a replacement panel from Blue Sea Systems as my whole electrical system needs replacement. Any ideas would be great. Thanks, RT
Lee Scott
Birmingham, AL

Boat Name: Shoot the Breeze

Model/Year: C22 - 1981

Hull No. 10212

Hailing Port: Lay Lake
06/15/2005 1:54 PM Pacific Time

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've seen a nice installation where someone located the panel in the port side hull liner above the stern-most dinette seat, putting it about thigh-level if you're sitting in the seat.

I like this location, but I'm worried that if the boat gets knocked down on it's port rail by a gust, and there's any appreciable water in the bilge, it could get soaked.

Another location I've seen is above the starboard settee, mounted beside the companionway on the bulkhead. That's a nice, dry location, but needs a lot more woodwork to make a presentable installation.

A third location I'm considering is mounting it in the plywood panel to the right of the winch handle when facing astern. The disadvantage here is it's succeptable to water coming in the companionway. But at least, it's not going to get flooded by water in the bilge unless the boat almost sinks.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/16/2005 5:39 AM Pacific Time

Hi Lee- On my previous boat, I mounted a wooden box on the cabin/cockpit bulkhead, as high as I could get it. The box was built to house a six switch panel I got from West Marine. The overhead protected it from spray, even with the hatch open. The box was sanded and covered with several coats of spar varnish. I taped all of the wires together and wraped them with plastic electrical tape. The bundle was held in place below the box with plastic wire clips screwed to the bulkhead. Sorry no pictures.

I suggest you avoid the port bulkhead, as it might interfere with heads of persons using the aft dinette seat.

-
Shift_228
California

Boat Name: Ship

Model/Year: y-54

Hull No. 12

Hailing Port: df
01/28/2021 1:29 PM Pacific Time

math problem solver that shows work can help you to work with another form
Shift_228
California

Boat Name: Ship

Model/Year: y-54

Hull No. 12

Hailing Port: df
01/28/2021 1:29 PM Pacific Time

math problem solver that shows work can help you to work with another form

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Upgrading and relocating switch panel?