Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Installing through deck flag mounting or electrical connector

Author Installing through deck flag mounting or electrical connector
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Santorini Baby

Model/Year: C-22/1985

Hull No. 13302

Hailing Port: AquaLand Marina, Lake Lanier, GA
07/01/2005 7:15 AM Pacific Time

I have a few items that I need to install/fix on the 85 C-22 I just bought.
I have noticed that the hinges for the battery hold & gas tank hold are stripped so they either old or weren't fixed properly. Also I need to put in an electrical connector and would like to have a pole mount for a flag. I would like to know the proper method for drilling and mounting. because I noticed the threaded screws want to flake off the fiberglass even on a pre-drilled hole.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/02/2005 7:32 AM Pacific Time

If you are going to fly a flag on a boat there are specfic ways to do that. You can buy a flag mount for the flag/ensign to mount on the stern. If you want to fly other flags put a small block near the out board end of the starboard spreader, and a shroud mounted cleat on the inside of the upper shroud. It will not bother your sail, because it will have the cord wrapped around it.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

07/02/2005 7:45 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Al, I have been looking at what to do and bought the necessary mount in the case of the flag, it is the installation that is of a bit of a concern to me.

Essentially I don't see how to use threaded screws even on pre-drilled holes in fiberglass without flaking off fiberglass as the screw slightly expands the hole. If the drill hole is too big (as in the case of the hinge screws on the holds) they just pull out. If there was room I would put backing on and use bolts, but I can't get at the back.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/03/2005 5:19 AM Pacific Time

Most of the flag mounts will fit either vertical or horizontal surfaces. So you could put it same surface as the stern light, and use bolts and nuts.
Al Ge
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

07/05/2005 6:09 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, I figured out how to get the surface from flaking (I put a piece of marine duct tape down and drilled through that and the metal hole in the flag holder)
Works a lot better. I mounted it on the stern and it looked pretty good for the 4th. I decided to use bolts, washers (to relieve any strain) and some nylon locking nuts so they won't come off. I had to spend a little time in a hold and got a friend to help me do the install (much easier that way). I will fix all the hold hinges the same way I think. Thanks for the help.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Installing through deck flag mounting or electrical connector